CC Ecosse ride out : 23 July - Dunblane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
im gona count the teet5h on my chainring now ,,all i know is that on my commuterthat has a triple it is so much easier to climb ,,even just sitting and spinning at a very low speed ,,that doesnt happen on the road bike ,,im going to check ,,,back in a min :thumbsup:

jim55

Guru
right just counted

53 teeth on the big front chainring

39 on the smaller

21 on the biggest cog on the rear

13 on the smallest cog on the rear

would this make it really hard to push ,,going down hills is great though :thumbsup:

aberal

Guru
right just counted

53 teeth on the big front chainring

39 on the smaller

21 on the biggest cog on the rear

13 on the smallest cog on the rear

would this make it really hard to push ,,going down hills is great though :thumbsup:

That's racing gearing - ideal for those TDF chappies. Not so ideal for the us non-racing chappies.

jim55

Guru
any reccs for a good cassete ,,iv heard a few and some of them are really "clicky "on freewheel ,,id rather have a nearly silent as the one iv got is whisper quiet :wacko: ,,i dunno where to start

aberal

Guru
any reccs for a good cassete ,,iv heard a few and some of them are really "clicky "on freewheel ,,id rather have a nearly silent as the one iv got is whisper quiet :wacko: ,,i dunno where to start

Try your LBS. The workable combinations of cassette, chainrings, deraileurs and shifters can be mind boggling to suss out. Take your bike down and see what they can recommend for you - or as importantly, will be able to tell you which bits go with which other bits.

jim55

Guru
thats sound advice ,,i wouldnt want to just buy random bits and then they dont fit or whatever ,,il prob take it down at the weekend and see what they say ,,theres a few shops about me (glasgow)and its gonna b a lbs job fitting it ,,does any locals on here reccomend a good shop to get it fitted and give advice on what to buy ,,one things for sure ,,i wont b going to halfords :biggrin:

I think you had a Shimano cassette, you'll want either a SRAM or Shimano one it just goes on the hub you've got so it won't be any noisier. Your bike may not take a cassette though in that case you are wanting a free wheel. This page explains the difference but it may be eisier to get a lbs to sort it out. Whatever you need a cassette or freewheel it'll have to be the same speed (have the same number of cogs) as your existing set up.

thats sound advice ,,i wouldnt want to just buy random bits and then they dont fit or whatever ,,il prob take it down at the weekend and see what they say ,,theres a few shops about me (glasgow)and its gonna b a lbs job fitting it ,,does any locals on here reccomend a good shop to get it fitted and give advice on what to buy ,,one things for sure ,,i wont b going to halfords :biggrin:

As you know I'm not a local but I bought my Kinesis in Billy Bilslands opposite Glasgow Green, they have a good rep and I found Neil Bilsland good to deal with :smile:

jim55

Guru
yeah i know the shop ..it seems to b ,(well buying a bike yrs ago)have a good reputation ,,but as far as work getting done i dont know ,,its a very easy ride down (basically a straight rd and down hill :becool: )and less than two ml from me ,,thanks :thumbsup:

edindave

Über Member
Pleased too to say my max speed on the day was 34.75 mph, which is good for me :bicycle:

Average of just over 15mph and a total of 33.68 miles.

:wahhey:

That's about 10% faster than me Jane, I only hit 31.3!
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom