Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley CC Ecosse ride (West) - Saturday Oct 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

Plotted here.
And yeah, a few miles on the A78 may be a necessary evil to enable an otherwise lovely ride.

The book i have that details the ride has a couple of diversions onto minor roads from the A866. The first is a left just after Colintraive where it follows the coast along a minor road for a few miles rejoining the A road just before the right to Dunoon. The second is at Clachan of Glendaruel where it takes a right turn up Glendaruel before rejoining the A road for the climb up the hill "Caol Glean" or "narrow glen" before the descent to Strachur.

I'm led to believe (by my book) that there is a cafe and a shop here. Perhaps Stu can confirm as he's done the route in reverse? Where did you stop for a break?

I'm led to believe (by my book) that there is a cafe and a shop here. Perhaps Stu can confirm as he's done the route in reverse? Where did you stop for a break?

We stopped at a little tea room just past strachur (loch tea room or somesuch - post office attached to it) - about half a mile along the shore road towards colintraive. Also a petrol station to stock up on drinks / mars bars sandwiches in strachur itself.

Stu

Gazmob

I've got an idea for a West CC Ecosse ride next year from a couple of wee cycle books i've recently acquired. This would suit people coming by car or train.

Start point for car : Gourock. Ride on to Wemyss Bay (9 miles round coast very short stretch on A road after Inverkip).
Ferry to Rothesay (bikes free, fare about £4, 40 min) meet anyone coming by train
Rothesay: optional climb of the "Serpentine" for anyone inclined (boom! boom!). Apparently 11 switchbacks 1.3 Km long avg gradient 8.3%, described in my wee book as "insane"!. Followed by coast road to Rhubodach then
Ferry to mainland (5 min to Colintraive)
Up to Strachur via mostly back roads and CAKE STOP (some hills on this stretch but don't know how hilly?)
Down to Dunoon via Loch Eck (described as easy) and ferry back to Gourock. (30min about £4).

The loop is 75Km plus the bit from Gourock and optional sepentine.

Time required 5 hours riding at easy pace 2 hours for ferries and cake stop. Loads of frequent ferries.

Might be a nice day out? I would hope to recce this route in advance but maybe some of you know some of it?

Seaman,

That looks a good cycle for a relaxed :-) day out and there are a couple of breaks in there.

If you wanted something sugary I also had a load of gels in my back pocket as I was worried I was going to need a boost, didn't want to be the first that was left behind, and on my first ride.

Garry

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
We stopped at a little tea room just past strachur (loch tea room or somesuch - post office attached to it) - about half a mile along the shore road towards colintraive. Also a petrol station to stock up on drinks / mars bars sandwiches in strachur itself.

Stu
Aye, some of the guys on the audax stopped at that tearoom and spoke quite well of it. :thumbsup:

The run back from Strachur to Dunoon is easy enough - as long as it isn't into the teeth of a SW wind ! :ohmy:

D

Deleted member 20519

Would anyone be up for revisiting the Perth route next year?

Seamab

Defo a ride to think about in the new year as is arran :thumbsup:
Yes, it's on my radar as well. Especially the Ross Road and String Road climbs!

Arran is about a 90K round trip. Approx 70K if going round the North and down to Blackwaterfoot and over the String Rd back to Brodick (though it can be shortened a wee bit).

Personally i'd go over the String Rd from Brodick then round the south of the island and up to Lamlash then over the Ross Rd and back to Brodick over the string road from the opposite direction! Not sure how far that is...

Personally i'd go over the String Rd from Brodick then round the south of the island and up to Lamlash then over the Ross Rd and back to Brodick over the string road from the opposite direction! Not sure how far that is...

When we did it on a forum ride we headed south and looped to Brodick its a great descent, we then looped to the north of the Island and back over the String to Brodick, IIRC ArranAndy thought that was best and he wasn't wrong :becool:

When we did it on a forum ride we headed south and looped to Brodick its a great descent, we then looped to the north of the Island and back over the String to Brodick, IIRC ArranAndy thought that was best and he wasn't wrong :becool:

I think I remember recommending this route. Arran figure of 8 doing the south end first. I think its about 75 miles.

Another good day out is the 5 ferries route. Quite tough in places but some great scenery

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Wymess_Bay_to_Ardrossan_via_Ferries-Cycle-Route-3913.html

Top Bottom