Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley CC Ecosse ride (West) - Saturday Oct 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Speaking of mud-slinging Mark, did you get your mudguards sorted OK?

I went out at the weekend and bought some black cable ties, they are now a must-have accessory - also removed the front section of the front mudguard, I'm still not wholly convinced though my wife was impressed with the lack of mud and dirt considering the amount of road-crud covering the bike!

Seamab

I know, help me :hyper:

No it was outside just as we got back on the bikes, as seamab left for water
I was needing something sugary which is why i refused Garry's kind offer of H2O. I settled for some Liptons iced tea mango flavour which was just the job. I left the EPO at home!

Apologies if anyone felt i was pressing on too fast in the hilly bits and not giving enough time for recovery (but time was getting on and i knew that after the cake stop it was flat all the way back, so there was plenty recovery to come). Perhaps it was a tad hilly for a general CC Ecosse ride? How did it compare to the Perth ride on that front?

Seamab

I've got an idea for a West CC Ecosse ride next year from a couple of wee cycle books i've recently acquired. This would suit people coming by car or train.

Start point for car : Gourock. Ride on to Wemyss Bay (9 miles round coast very short stretch on A road after Inverkip).
Ferry to Rothesay (bikes free, fare about £4, 40 min) meet anyone coming by train
Rothesay: optional climb of the "Serpentine" for anyone inclined (boom! boom!). Apparently 11 switchbacks 1.3 Km long avg gradient 8.3%, described in my wee book as "insane"!. Followed by coast road to Rhubodach then
Ferry to mainland (5 min to Colintraive)
Up to Strachur via mostly back roads and CAKE STOP (some hills on this stretch but don't know how hilly?)
Down to Dunoon via Loch Eck (described as easy) and ferry back to Gourock. (30min about £4).

The loop is 75Km plus the bit from Gourock and optional sepentine.

Time required 5 hours riding at easy pace 2 hours for ferries and cake stop. Loads of frequent ferries.

Might be a nice day out? I would hope to recce this route in advance but maybe some of you know some of it?

Col5632

Guru
I was needing something sugary which is why i refused Garry's kind offer of H2O. I settled for some Liptons iced tea mango flavour which was just the job. I left the EPO at home!

Apologies if anyone felt i was pressing on too fast in the hilly bits and not giving enough time for recovery (but time was getting on and i knew that after the cake stop it was flat all the way back, so there was plenty recovery to come). Perhaps it was a tad hilly for a general CC Ecosse ride? How did it compare to the Perth ride on that front?

I would have refused his water also :whistle:

No i think enough time was left to recover after each major hill, perth ride was less hilly but it also had a few big-ish ones, i think it was the right balance of flat and hills and some great scenery :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru

I thought it was good, I probably would have struggled if the distance had been any longer but 42 miles was fine and all the hills were near the start/midway, with a fairly easy run "home". There were also plenty of catch-up stops so I never felt anyone was pressing on. There are always going to be faster rides on every ride I go on, but I'm quite happy with the pace and support of the CC Ecosse rides I've been on.

Fubar

Guru
I've got an idea for a West CC Ecosse ride next year from a couple of wee cycle books i've recently acquired. This would suit people coming by car or train.

Start point for car : Gourock. Ride on to Wemyss Bay (9 miles round coast very short stretch on A road after Inverkip).
Ferry to Rothesay (bikes free, fare about £4, 40 min) meet anyone coming by train
Rothesay: optional climb of the "Serpentine" for anyone inclined (boom! boom!). Apparently 11 switchbacks 1.3 Km long avg gradient 8.3%, described in my wee book as "insane"!. Followed by coast road to Rhubodach then
Ferry to mainland (5 min to Colintraive)
Up to Strachur via mostly back roads and CAKE STOP (some hills on this stretch but don't know how hilly?)
Down to Dunoon via Loch Eck (described as easy) and ferry back to Gourock. (30min about £4).

The loop is 75Km plus the bit from Gourock and optional sepentine.

Time required 5 hours riding at easy pace 2 hours for ferries and cake stop. Loads of frequent ferries.

Might be a nice day out? I would hope to recce this route in advance but maybe some of you know some of it?

Sounds good so long as the "Serpintine" remains optional! Would also allow the young-un's to kill themselves while the gentlemen enjoy the cycling... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom