CC Llandovery Ride. Sat 26th May.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
Well that was interesting! I had a good journey to & from Wales, and a superb weekend at Chateau Claude, complete with sun, beer, lots of cycle- and other-chat, more beer, roast piggy and excellent company all round. It was lovely, too, to meet three new (to me) friendly forum faces and to see lukesdad again (although I might have to put him on the ignore list for blatant lying about the route: "Only one short steep one"?? [see post no 15]. He really does live in a different cycling universe from the rest of us ...)

I'll be honest, Saturday's ride was very challenging for me: I found the combination of pace, heat, a really brutal headwind (sometimes I struggled to keep upright, and when we turned across the wind I was blown across the road and often felt quite unsafe), and multiple steep gradients very testing and not a little disheartening. When I say I'm slow up hills I'm being honest - I really am very slow up hills and just can't do the silly steep stuff. Other people's ideas about their own fitness, speed and climbing ability seem to vary :whistle:. If that's Pubrunner being unfit and not up to much, I look forward to seeing him on the TdF before too long! ^_^ And that ****ing Devil's Staircase! How can anyone cycle up that, it's practically vertical! I was already walking by the time we got to the foot of it. Huge respect to Claudine who managed the first part of it before it defeated even her. Mark still insisted to me that it was only short, but walking up it nearly did me in! I can safely say I will never be going that way again.

But the compensation once we were up and swooping up and down round the shores of that reservoir made it all worthwhile. Amazing views that took away what little breath I had left. Trust me to forget my camera for the most scenic ride this year - but I have the memories. I gave up trying to keep up with the others, who sailed off into the distance, and settled into my own rhythm, holding up the cavalcade of beautiful Morgans trying to pass me in the shady depths of the pine forests. The day ended with a tailwind back to Llandovery, so that I eventually caught up with Crackle and for the first and only time of the day I wasn't last (well, someone's got to be ...). The craic and laughter in the sun outside the pub before we set off for home was unsurpassed, sorry you had to miss it Doseone.

On Sunday, a blessed cooler day, Claudine and I rode a shorter and less taxing route around the Gower, complete with two great pub stops. I found the more relaxed pace more to my liking, and the less severe hills were within my reach this time so my spirits rose again :smile:. Thank you Claudine for sensitively choosing that perfect route and arranging for the wind to have dropped as well, phew! All round, it was a fantastic weekend, thanks everybody!

That's a great write up TMN. I'm gutted I had to go and that I missed a beer in the sun with you all. Sounds like you had a nice Sunday:thumbsup:

And haven't we already seen Pubby at the Tour De France

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Let's pencil 13th in lightly and consult El Banjoista then?

I may well be up this - if invited ? :shy:

Where/when does it start and finish ?

What's the format of the evening ?

I need info. to plan & organise - all that multi-tasking stuff that's so difficult. ^_^

pubrunner

Legendary Member
That's a great write up TMN.

Yes, an excellent write up. All that was missing, was a mention of Crackle's amazing encyclopedic memory of Cyclechat matters. If a Ph.D could be awarded for such knowledge, he'd already have graduated with flying colours . . . . . . . along with FM, of course. :whistle:

. . . I'm gutted I had to go and that I missed a beer in the sun with you all.

Do you reckon that you can get a pass-out from your missus, for 13th July ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I may well be up this - if invited ? :shy:

Where/when does it start and finish ?

What's the format of the evening ?

I need info. to plan & organise - all that multi-tasking stuff that's so difficult. ^_^

Of course. We usually start in Gowerton early evening - 6 or so - there's a railway station, a car park, and a flattish bike path that cuts right through to Swansea bay. We'll probably stick to that start point unless there's a particular reason to change it. We begin just north of a big ridge, so there are several several ascents of varying grimness to choose from if we want to get over it first thing. None of this should bother you, as holder of the polka-dot jersey. About 30 or so miles at a non-frantic pace, with at least two pubs. We'll either finish back at the start point or in a pub from which the route back to the start point is simple! Being a matter of joining dots on a small peninsula, the ride will be zigzag or figure-of-eight in character, aiming to connect the best bits in satisfying ways...

Doseone

Guru
Do you reckon that you can get a pass-out from your missus, for 13th July ?

The pass shouldn't be a problem, it's more that Friday evenings are a logistical nightmare involving after school clubs, football training and swimming (the kids, not me!!) so it could be difficult but I would love to come and will do my best.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
We usually start in Gowerton early evening - 6 or so . . .
. . . .. We'll either finish back at the start point or in a pub from which the route back to the start point is simple! .

Are there any food stops ? Or would we grab something whilst in a pub ?

What sort of time does it wind-up ?

Is Banjo going ? :thumbsup: He & Lukesdad will be able to celebrate the lifting of the pasty tax . . . will there be a Greggs on the route ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Are there any food stops ? Or would we grab something whilst in a pub ?

What sort of time does it wind-up ?

Is Banjo going ? :thumbsup: He & Lukesdad will be able to celebrate the lifting of the pasty tax . . . will there be a Greggs on the route ?

Don't plan to stop for a meal during the ride, or there wouldn't be much riding at all, but will ensure that we do not wind up in a food desert...

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Sorry people but I have to drop out of this one .Hope the sunshines and you have a good day.

That is indeed a shame Graham,next time :thumbsup:

Oi, LD & Banjo - what's the next ride that you are organising ? C'mon, fellas - get something sorted !

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bumpetty-bump! I turned the page in my diary and saw that I had the Gower Evening Ride pencilled in for this Friday! It might well have dropped off everybody's radar so I don't mind postponing, but I can still do it if we are of a mind to get our arses into gear. Whaddayathink?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It is probably a bit soon for me, but I've a few Fridays free in August . . if it is to be on a Friday (night) ?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Probably a bit late to try and raise support for it now. Maybe we ought to postpone and set up a new thread to give it a bit more publicity ?

Top Bottom