CC Llandovery Ride. Sat 26th May.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
Great photos Pubby. Thanks for posting those. It was like having the paparazzi with us^_^

Crax I meant to say that lamb shank you had looked the business. Awesome pub to stop at in Llanwrtyd Wells, the land lady would have kept giving tasters all day long I think.

Hope you all had easy journeys home.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Nice pix, Pubbers.

Awesome pub to stop at in Llanwrtyd Wells, the land lady would have kept giving tasters all day long I think.

She was fab. Actually the tasters were all slightly sour - I don't think anyone had been drinking the ales before we arrived - but the pint that followed wasn't bad. Ice cubes in the refilled water bottles was a nice touch.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
See, I had the silly gears but not the legs. You had the legs but not the silly gears. Shame you can't swap these things around and take it in turns to ride up daft hills.

I would have gladly swapped, but I had neither. I imagined for a while that a breather after the first ultra-steep bit would do it, but when I got going again my entire being had turned to jelly. I had to take my shoes off just to be able to push the bike up the hill.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Gutted that I couldnt get there. Looks like you managed the cake without my help.^_^LD may be good on hill climbs but he isnt in my league at cake eating.

Glad it went well.
He missed you so much he ordered an extra portion of Barra and forced me to eat it in your honour.

Hopefully TC will be organizing the annual friday nite beer fest round the gower. I know you wouldn t want to miss that one :thumbsup:

Doseone

Guru
I would have gladly swapped, but I had neither. I imagined for a while that a breather after the first ultra-steep bit would do it, but when I got going again my entire being had turned to jelly. I had to take my shoes off just to be able to push the bike up the hill.
TC you're too modest. How you got that far up with the gearing you had I'll never know.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It was a grand day out as Wallace might say.

Good ride, good scenery and good company. It was a pleasure to meet everyone.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day, couldn't think of a nicer way to spend a Saturday.

Okay, so what, when & where is the next one ? (Hopefully, Banjo will be there)

(I intend to sort out a ride for August or September up where I live).

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . sorry i had to shoot off, I was already late for a prior arrangement.

I guessed, from your scintillating pace back to Llandovery, that you were anxious to get home promptly. Your speed on the descents was amazing; I was pretty much full-on the brakes, whilst you seemed to be pedaling like crazy - downhill ! . I just didn't have confidence to do likewise and pretty soon, you vanished into the haze . . . along with TC & LD. And all this on a hybrid bike. Granted, it does have an amazing range of gears, but that said, you still need the legs to push 'em.

If you get any fitter, you'll be an amazing cyclist . . . . . . especially, if you have a bike with 'proper' handebars :whistle: .

On reflection, I realise that I need to start doing some serious cycling; I found that I struggled on all the descents - I'd imagine that I used my brakes far more than anyone else. I could also see that my technique for taking the corners was sh*te; on all the bends, I felt more confident, by taking a wide line - 'cutting up' the other riders in the process. ^_^ I just can't corner as sharply as you guys - it feels as if the bike will slide away from under me . . . . . . . how do you corner and descend like that ???

I'd also be interested to know, just how other riders get in the mileage - very early morning starts, before work ?

Doseone

Guru
I guessed, from your scintillating pace back to Llandovery, that you were anxious to get home promptly. Your speed on the descents was amazing; I was pretty much full-on the brakes, whilst you seemed to be pedaling like crazy - downhill ! . I just didn't have confidence to do likewise and pretty soon, you vanished into the haze . . . along with TC & LD. And all this on a hybrid bike. Granted, it does have an amazing range of gears, but that said, you still need the legs to push 'em.

If you get any fitter, you'll be an amazing cyclist . . . . . . especially, if you have a bike with 'proper' handebars :whistle: .

On reflection, I realise that I need to start doing some serious cycling; I found that I struggled on all the descents - I'd imagine that I used my brakes far more than anyone else. I could also see that my technique for taking the corners was sh*te; on all the bends, I felt more confident, by taking a wide line - 'cutting up' the other riders in the process. ^_^ I just can't corner as sharply as you guys - it feels as if the bike will slide away from under me . . . . . . . how do you corner and descend like that ???

I'd also be interested to know, just how other riders get in the mileage - very early morning starts, before work ?

Pubby don't do yourself down, you were flying up the hills, even that hill didn't seem to cause you any problems. You were sitting at the top and didn't even look out of breath and could probably have read War and Peace by the time I finally got up there^_^

BTW it was a pleasure to ride with you and I look forward to next time.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
BTW it was a pleasure to ride with you

Likewise !

I look forward to next time.

Where & when ?

I'm seriously considering TC's ride from Swansea; the fact that there is beer involved is a great incentive. A kind of two for the price of one - bike ride and Beer Festival.

The pub in Llandovery that we visited, had a beer that was 7.2% - wish I could have tried that !

Anyhow,you've not answered my question - just how/when do you train and just how do you go so flipping fast downhill ? Do the flat bars help ?

Doseone virtually holds the stem. It's like an upright tt bar position. From behind all you can see is a handlebar sticking out either side of a bloke with no arms!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Doseone virtually holds the stem. It's like an upright tt bar position. From behind all you can see is a handlebar sticking out either side of a bloke with no arms!

Yeah ! I noticed that when he swept past me on the first descent; manic grin and pedaling hard ! Have to say, his 'style' is very effective; he was flying on the road back to Llandovery . . . . . . . mind you, that could've partially been due to the fact that he didn't want to contend with an angry wife, after a late arrival home. :whistle:

Doseone

Guru
Likewise !

Where & when ?

I'm seriously considering TC's ride from Swansea; the fact that there is beer involved is a great incentive. A kind of two for the price of one - bike ride and Beer Festival.

The pub in Llandovery that we visited, had a beer that was 7.2% - wish I could have tried that !

Anyhow,you've not answered my question - just how/when do you train and just how do you go so flipping fast downhill ? Do the flat bars help ?

OK, training - I really honestly don't do that much. I work five and a half days a week, have 2 kids who need ferrying here there and everywhere plus all the normal stuff to do at home. I tend to get 1 or if I'm lucky 2 rides a week, probably totalling 100 miles a month, seldom more, often less. My cycling is grabbing an hour or two mostly on a Sunday morning, occasionally a Saturday afternoon and almost always by myself because it's usually short notice. If you have a job and a family you will know what I mean!! That's one of the reasons it was so nice to ride a different route with some good people on Saturday. I would love to do more and am hoping that during the Summer I can maybe get a mid week evening ride in although it's not working out that way so far!

I sometimes grab the Trek (the bike I had on Saturday), or depending on weather, mood etc I might reach for the mountainbike. What I will say is that when I do go out I do like to try and work quite hard and will often push myself, particularly on the second half of a ride. I don't kill myself though because ultimately I ride for pleasure.

With the downhill thing, I just don't know. I've never really thought about it and I just sort of go with the flow. I thank you for your kind words, but there are plenty quicker than me downhill. I used to have a drop bar bike (sadly gone because of lower back issues:headshake:) but wouldn't say I'm any quicker on the flat bars. If anything it might be the other way round as although I am a bit more upright on the flat bars which is good for confidence, the geometry was tighter on the drop bar so you were down lower and could probably corner a bit harder. I also think maybe doing a bit of mountain biking helps with handling.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. What I will say is that when I do go out I do like to try and work quite hard and will often push myself, particularly on the second half of a ride.

Yes, you did that on Saturday.

Oh ! forgot to ask, you mentioned that your forum name is derived from some musician; I'm guessing that it is a jazz musician . . . . . . . Charley Parker ? Miles Davis ?

Doseone

Guru

I find it quite comfy, although it can make the handling a bit twitchy, but it must be a bit more aero than than the normal wide hand position with the flat bars.

that could've partially been due to the fact that he didn't want to contend with an angry wife, after a late arrival home. :whistle:
:laugh: You've met my wife then!! Ha ha, no she was fine in fairness, but we were due at a friends bbq at 4:00 and I'd promised to do the barbecueing. The thought of some of my angry and hungry friends was enough to spur me on. Plus I had Jelly Babies waiting for me in the car, although when I dipped my hand in to get some they had melted in to a gooey slush!

Doseone

Guru
Yes, you did that on Saturday.

Oh ! forgot to ask, you mentioned that your forum name is derived from some musician; I'm guessing that it is a jazz musician . . . . . . . Charley Parker ? Miles Davis ?

:laugh: No, I'm not that cultured I'm afraid!! It's this guy. He's part of a record label called Anticon and has done some collaborations with other musicians, my favourite of which is a band called 13 and God. I was at a loss as to what to use for my forum name so plumped for his name. The most recent music I bought was by him, a couple of weeks ago. Another collaboration called "Themselves".

Top Bottom