CCTV - any experts about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allen-uk

I want a dead simple CCTV system, just to nail up, plug in, and go.

One camera, transmitting to some sort of receiver 10m-ish away, plugged in to my existing DVD/TV systems.

Am I asking too much, and can such a box be bought as a unit? I haven't got the confidence to buy the bits and hope they'll all fit together...

Ta.

Allen.

andrew-the-tortoise

Swarfega Abuser
Not tried this specific model, but something like this would do:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRELESS-SECU...14&_trkparms=72:1690|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

The camera sends a digital wireless signal [2.4gHz usually] to a receiver - which you could plug into your TV [AV3].

I think Argos/B&Q sell similar.

I was in HomeBase gettin some odds and ends, and saw just what you are after if ot wasn't for the cable as opposed to wireless!

It was available in Black and White or Colour

What you are goingto need is the more expensive version with transmitter and reciever, again cheaper by £10 for B&W, butthe colour setup is "only" £80

The othe choice you have to make is that black and white at this price point do night vision, colour ones don't.

Also beware of the transmission. Many are 2.4GHz which can be interfered with by routers, WiFi and other items like cordless phones

I have four cameras which come in useful and are wired through a quad processor.Bought the cameras off of ebay and have capability to tape them if I want.

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Doesn't a webcam restrict me to using it through my computer? I wanted to utilise my DVD/TV system, for viewing and recording.

A

Bman

Guru
Well yes, I suppose it does. Unless you have TV-out

There are some relatively cheap and effective programs you can use to turn your webcam into a security system.

Movement detector, SMS/Email alerts, streaming, scripting, time lapse, etc

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
As mentioned above, look at Maplins - their web site has a wider range than the stores have. I've had lots of problems trying to get a decent wireless signal. More than 1 wall in the way and it gets hopeless, so I've got wired cameras.

Also look at CCTV Direct.

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Maplins stuff tends not to be of the 'here is a box - stick it up and plug it in' variety, in that it assumes knowledge on your part (I have none) and ability (similarly). The CCTV Direct stuff is interesting, but pricey.

The ebay link is, of course, tat, but usable and fits the other criteria - here's the box, nail it up, plug it in. The system might be low-level, the pictures not great, but it would do...

A

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I've bought several Maplins DVR's - previous one got nicked. :tongue:

They were simply plug & go! The fiddliest bit was using the combination of using the various buttons to set the area not to trigger the movement detector. However, in both cases, the manuals provided on CD were in fairly good English.

Top Bottom