CD giveaway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My good deed for today.
Having now finished copying my CD collection to computer, I had 300+ CD's cluttering my living room.
Charity shops? Closed.
Sell on ebay? Too much faff for not much reward.
Sell to musicmagpie or any other on-line buyer? Not when they are offering about 17 to 20 pence for each CD..

My solution is to put them out on the pavement outside my house in big cardboard boxes, displayed so titles can be seen, and a sign inviting people to help themselves. Footfall along my street isn't very high just now, but will wait and see what happens. Some kind local might advertise it on FaceBook for me, I will enquire - but not a FB'er myself. While putting them out, a local elderly lady (must be well into her 70's) came by, and is now away with a 7 CD 80's collection, a 7 CD 70's collection; Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, and Grease soundtrack. She was delighted, which has made my day. :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Well done that man.^_^
It's news to me that CDs aren't the latest thing in home entertainment, another learning experience on CC.:sad:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The only thing in the house [and car] that we could play a CD on is our old Bush music centre behind the sofa... and we've only got that because I've only just remembered it's there! :laugh:

+ nothing that we could 'record' them with to MP3 files! They make excellent coasters.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
just make sure you have a back up of your digital collection... it's gutting when a hard drive fails and you lose everything :sad:
Everything on i-tunes, also on the Sony equivalent, AND on an external hard drive!
Edit.... And all on an i-pod too :smile:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Some carbooter will come along, furtively look left & right a couple of times then swiftly dump the lot in their car & speed away, all you'll hear is the tyre squeal .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I feel almost embarrassed to point out that it is illegal to make copies of CDs and then sell the CDs! :whistle:

In fact, I have just discovered that it is once again illegal in the UK to even copy CDs that you paid for, e.g. for use on an MP3 player. It had been declared legal for your own use but music companies appealed against it and the appeal was accepted.

I don't think that many people are going to get done for ripping their own CDs to play on their phones, but it definitely isn't allowed to take copies for your own use and then pass the CDs on... Keep them in a box in your attic for backup?

D

Deleted member 26715

As I understand it you can't sell what you don't own, you never own the CD, all you are buying is the right to listen to it, but once you have given that right away you no longer have the right to listen to the copyrighted version you have stored.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I feel almost embarrassed to point out that it is illegal to make copies of CDs and then sell the CDs! :whistle:

In fact, I have just discovered that it is once again illegal in the UK to even copy CDs that you paid for, e.g. for use on an MP3 player. It had been declared legal for your own use but music companies appealed against it and the appeal was accepted.

I don't think that many people are going to get done for ripping their own CDs to play on their phones, but it definitely isn't allowed to take copies for your own use and then pass the CDs on... Keep them in a box in your attic for backup?
Ooops... good job someone's on the [legal] ball Colin. Would be a real pain to have to find the CD discs that we'll have somewhere in the house for some of ours +/or given to the Hospice Shop. Some aren't even in their original CD boxes anymore! [especially that Aqua one that my daughter lost after it was played constantly when she was about 10].

Top Bottom