CD-R Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hmmmph. Don't understand what's happening. I can put a CD into my CD-R slot and it'll read files and things on the CD. But if I ask it to record to a CD (it's a recordable disk) I get a message - "Drive empty - insert disc". Even tho' I've just been reading from the disk. It's Windows XP BTW.

The disks work fine on my wife's laptop

Any thoughts, ideas or fixes would be most welcome.

Oh my hardware says 16x 10x and 40x but the disk has 52x on it. I don't think that's relevant tho' (or am I wrong?).

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmmmph. Don't understand what's happening. I can put a CD into my CD-R slot and it'll read files and things on the CD. But if I ask it to record to a CD (it's a recordable disk) I get a message - "Drive empty - insert disc". Even tho' I've just been reading from the disk. It's Windows XP BTW.

The disks work fine on my wife's laptop

Any thoughts, ideas or fixes would be most welcome.

Oh my hardware says 16x 10x and 40x but the disk has 52x on it. I don't think that's relevant tho' (or am I wrong?).

See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529 or http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/cd/recogDriver-c.html

It is definitely a cd burner ? My tight wad employer upgraded my old pc to a new shiny one with a dvdrom drive in it :angry:
Most of the old Pcs sitting under the desk are read only drives too.
What software are you using ? If it's just the in built xp stuff then that doesn't handle multi session writing (as in
writing to a cd at different times) and you should use cdburnerxppro instead.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well I've tried the links posted above with no result. I'm attempting to record in one session to a new disk. The XP sofware has done this for me before no trouble. I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware problem. So my next step is to try the appropriate manufacturer's webby site. Trouble is I've got a lot on at the moment and this issue is few lines down on my priority list...........

If the laser used to write with is fooked - would it give this problem??

Well I've tried the links posted above with no result. I'm attempting to record in one session to a new disk. The XP sofware has done this for me before no trouble. I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware problem. So my next step is to try the appropriate manufacturer's webby site. Trouble is I've got a lot on at the moment and this issue is few lines down on my priority list...........

If the laser used to write with is fooked - would it give this problem??
Your original post said
Even tho' I've just been reading from the disk
which suggested it was multi session.
It's claiming it hasn't seen a cd and it would usually identify a cd by a read attempt but then it recognises cds otherwise which suggests it's possibly one of those windows registry
problems that I forget the details of

Top Bottom