Center on London to out west

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I am thinking about moving somewhere out in west london around Surbiton or Tolworth and with the idea of keeping my cycling up I need to get to my work on oxford street. Does anyone know the best route to out that way?

Every route finder I check seems to suggest going down the kingston bypass but I am not sure how safe or legal that would be on a bike!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi - I'm in Worcetser Park so I sort of know there area. I've just looked this up on google maps and I see what you mean - there's no obvious way of cutting through and avoiding the A3.

However, there is cycle paths and service roads alongside most of the road so you don't actually have to go on the dual/triple carriageway (technically I think you would be legally entitled to though as its an A road(?). You would have to be mental though).

You would have to faff around with a few roundabouts under flyovers and stuff and there is an almightily big hill up towards Roehampton - good or bad depending on your view on hills - personally I don't like them first thing in the morning :-). You can avoid this by joining the route I take at New Malden and going up the side of Wimbledon Common - there's still a hill but its more of a short, sharp shock than the A3 route. (See http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...316,-0.152779&spn=0.035798,0.080338&z=14&om=1)

jashburnham

Yeah, I'd say Richmond park, then over putney bridge, Fulham road, Kensington to hyde park corner, nip through the park to marble arch and down Ox st.

OP
OP
S

somekindofwizard

Thanks for the suggestions, that looks like a really good route through Richmond, would hope it was fairly quick too without much traffic through the park. Although having never gone there in the morning i could be wrong!

Good know that I can use the bypass if need be for a slightly shorter route, I never knew there were cycle lanes on it so maybe a good choice for brighter months so I can be seen!

Fantastic thing the internet, great how you can log on here and get advice of locals, what will technology do next!

Top Bottom