Central Scotland Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Quick question, how long is the route we are doing? btw this will be the first of many questions as a relative newbie i have lots to learn so tommorow i will be bringing my big book of questions along with me :blush:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
bhoyjim said:
Quick question, how long is the route we are doing? btw this will be the first of many questions as a relative newbie i have lots to learn so tommorow i will be bringing my big book of questions along with me :blush:

(psssst.... what we do is hang around at the back of the group as they set off, then sneak off to the pub when they're not looking. Then when they get back we pretend that we just got so far ahead of them that we'd been back a while so thought we'd wait in the pub to keep warm :laugh:)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
HJ, it's the tesco car park. Of course if there happens to be a pub near there...:biggrin:

So are we all set? I'm just about to pop out and give the Racelight a once over, and add a new saddle bag. I've learned from experience that a fully loaded rucksack doesn't help with hill climbing. :laugh:

I'll be bringing along a few things that I might want to leave in someones car, if that's ok. I might chance it and not put the waterproof on!

The weather on metcheck is looking pretty good at the moment. Dry, 7C, possibly with some sun! Ok there will be a bit of a wind (14mph) but nothing too serious (and it must be a tail wind at some point!).

Looking forward to meeting some old friends and some new friends! :biggrin:

I'll be bringing my rucksack with a rain jacket and a lighter top in it, just in case it (a) is freezing and there are heavy showers or (B) gets too warm for sweaty me so I need a short-sleeved top on.

The old Boy Scout in me never dies - always best to 'be prepared'.

Oh, and I'll bring a camera as we need to get a group photo or two. (Are you bringing the helmet cam, Dave ? We need to have it because I'm sure we'll all be choreographing multiple incidents to allow ourselves the pleasure of upsetting and antagonising poor, innocent motorists.... :blush:)

ACS

Legendary Member
I will have the car so storage for bit and bobs is OK with me. I have made up 15 route maps in colour please ask for one on arrival. I would be happy if everyone could navigate back if the entire world goes to hell in a hand cart.

I will be in the dark grey Ford Focus ET56***

See you tomorrow

OP
OP
M

magnatom

satans budgie said:
I will have the car so storage for bit and bobs is OK with me. I have made up 15 route maps in colour please ask for one on arrival. I would be happy if everyone could navigate back if the entire world goes to hell in a hand cart.

I will be in the dark grey Ford Focus ET56***

See you tomorrow

Good man! :blush:

We should be fine, as there will be a strick no man left behind policy, but maps are a good idea.

ACS

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Good man! :laugh:

We should be fine, as there will be a strick no man left behind policy, but maps are a good idea.

I whole heartily agree, many years ago I had a boss who drummed into us his favourite manta “Remember the 6 P’s and you cannot go wrong”.
‘Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.’ If you have all angles covered then nothing will go wrong. I am just covering the angles. The maps are available as a backup measure nothing more.

I will bring a track pump as well.

:blush:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

That's a good mantra!

Just watching the weather forecast. Looks a little breezy, but otherwise fine. That means we are doomed.....!:blush::laugh:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just looked at the weather forecast, now I am getting worried, there are all these strange yellow symbols, what happened to all those nice black clouds, the ones with the snow flakes???

I hope everyone made it home OK. I'll let somebody else tell the story but it turned out to be a good ride in better than expected weather. We chose not to go to Dechmont and climbing the 900ft Cairpapple twice, instead once on top of Cairnpapple we stayed at that elevation and went by the south of Beecraigs Country Park and enjoyed a fast descent. For those interested this is the route we took.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That was a good day out, here is the motley crew at Blackness

3395013915_2189836790.jpg

Great ride, great company, thanks to all!

Top Bottom