Century a month clubs anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

For those who don't frequent BikeRadar, should we resurrect the c+ metric and imperial clubs over here?

A knee injury resulted in me falling at the first hurdle last year, but found it did help a bit with motivation in the darker months the year before. Others used is motivation to ride their first 100.

For those not familiar with they way it works: the only requirement is to do at least one ride of 100KM or 100 miles in each month of the year and record a short summary of it here.

For the imperial club just record your first ride of 100 miles in any month.

For the metric club you record each ride of 100KM or more and get a point for each 100KM the ride involved.

Thus a 200KM audax would count for both clubs and would qualify for two points in the imperial club.

That's about all there is to it; anyone interested?

ash68

yeh, sounds good redfox, we should give it a go. I'll contribute to the thread if they give the go ahead.:biggrin:

Bokonon

Über Member
I was thinking of bringing up this very subject nearer the new year. The reason I originally signed up on C+ was for the 100K/month - and as long as I get out next weekend, I will have done all 12. Maybe I should update my entry at the other place, I think I have only recorded the first 6 months. Might try 100mile/month next year...

Yep, did the 100K two years ago and would have again this year if we exclude January (which of course we can't ! :biggrin:) when Blind Old Bat In Mercedes knocked me off...

The thing I didn't agree with in the C+ rules was that a multi-day tour counted, so you could do say 50miles out on Saturday and 50 back on Sunday and it counted as a Century - to me, it should be 100 in one day (or 24h period if you're doing an overnighter I guess :biggrin:).

i'm waiting to see what rob of the bikeradar imperial century challenge is doing next year as i've built up and logged an unbroken 36 and don't want to start again unless i have to!
but thinking about it i could do both.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Absolutely. Two slipped discs and a broken arm stopped me doing it this year but the 100km challenge was great for motivation in the previous year.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Seems like a yes then! :biggrin:

andy_wrx said:
The thing I didn't agree with in the C+ rules was that a multi-day tour counted, so you could do say 50miles out on Saturday and 50 back on Sunday and it counted as a Century - to me, it should be 100 in one day (or 24h period if you're doing an overnighter I guess :biggrin:.

Didn't know this was the case, doesn't seem right to me either. I thought the rule was a singe trip, stopping along the way is fine, but the ride should be contiguous.

piedwagtail91 said:
i'm waiting to see what rob of the bikeradar imperial century challenge is doing next year as i've built up and logged an unbroken 36 and don't want to start again unless i have to!
but thinking about it i could do both.

If I hadn't fallen this year, I would feel the same way! Cut & Paste should make doing both easy. :biggrin:

trio25

Über Member
I'd be interested in this, I'm trying to up my longest rides so this would give me motivation.

Alan H said:
Absolutely. Two slipped discs and a broken arm stopped me doing it this year but the 100km challenge was great for motivation in the previous year.

You're not AlanH of Amersfoort (sp?) are you ?

And you have a problem with motivation ? :biggrin:

You were on the same page, jsut above me I think, on C+ and I remember you logging 4 a week...:biggrin:

redfox said:

Didn't know this was the case, doesn't seem right to me either. I thought the rule was a singe trip, stopping along the way is fine, but the ride should be contiguous.

I'm convinced (:biggrin::wacko::sad:) I'm not making this up or have imagined it, it was in the 2006 C+ thread rules although not what Rob's posted on BR for this year - these are his rules from there for the ImperialC Challenge (the Metric one is 100k, but otherwise the same)

The rules:

-A century is a single ride of at least 100.0 miles as measured on a reasonably accurate cycle computer. 99.9 miles or less is not a century.

-Breaks/stops during the ride are permitted for refreshment/repairs/sightseeing etc but stops to sleep and stops at your home are not permitted.

-A qualifying century cannot start before 0001hrs on the morning of the first day of the calendar month.

-For qualifying rides ridden on the last day of the month: the 100.0 mile mark must have been passed by 2359.59 hrs on that day.

-If you miss a month you are out of the challenge, no exceptions for any reason, riding more than one century in a month does not entitle you to miss a month in lieu.

-Centuries ridden on rollers/turbo trainers/indoor velodromes do not count towards the challenge.

-Qualifying rides should be posted in this thread. Simply post once and subsequently edit that one post each month

-There will once again be a Century A Month Chat thread specifically for posting comments, planned rides, bowing out excuses etc which will keep the main Register as neat and tidy as possible.

-Usual safety and responsibility cop out disclaimers apply blah blah blah...own risk...your fault nobody elses...yadda yadda yadda[
icon_smile.gif
]

Prizes:

All those that successfully ride a century in each month of 2007 will receive a virtual pat on the back from your equally successful peers[
icon_smile.gif
]

...which seems fine.

He has specified that stops to sleep are not allowed, which does break-up a multi-dayer into separate one-day rides (you could argue a long audax involving grabbing a kip on the floor of a checkpoint or under a hedge shouldn't be, but not a restriction that would affect me :biggrin:

I also remember the C+ one differing though, in saying that you could stop-off at home for supplies, etc but couldn't actually stop there.
- I logged one ride where I realised I had a slow p*nct*re and wasn't actually that far from home, so I went home, fixed it in the garage, had a cup of tea and refilled my waterbottles and went off again : don't really see the difference between that and fixing it at the roadside and having a brew at a caff
- although I'd class it differently to go home, have a nap and a meal, then go out again : that would surely class as a second ride

Oh yeah, also just lurve the bit about not doing a century on rollers/turbo - the idea !!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(although there was some bloke who did 55 miles on the road, getting dark and no lights, so went home and finished it on the turbo - don't think that should be allowed)[/I]

Haitch

Flim Flormally
andy_wrx said:
You're not AlanH of Amersfoort (sp?) are you ?

That's the one.

And you have a problem with motivation ? :biggrin:
You were on the same page, just above me I think, on C+ and I remember you logging 4 a week...:biggrin:

That's very nice of you to say but I think your memory must be playing tricks. I got a total of 32 points for the whole year.:sad: I wasn't in the same league as some of the people taking part.

(Once you've read this message I might come back and delete it so other people think I'm a serious cyclist :biggrin:)

Christopher

Über Member
I'd be interested in the Metric version. I did the C+ Imperial a few years back, managed it but nearly gave up cycling in the process.

Top Bottom