Cervélo - Raleigh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dutch owners of Cervélo in talks to take over Raleigh parent company

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/raleigh-set-bought-dutch-company-324843

If the deal goes through, Pon Holdings will add Raleigh, as well as other major road brands such as Lapierre and Diamondback to its existing portfolio which already includes Cervélo and Focus.
However a major motivation behind the takeover bid is Pon’s desire to expand its electric bike offering, bringing Haibike under the same roof as Kalkhoff.

I realise that this doesn't really mean much at all outside of the world of global company finance.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Aha. Therefore my son's Cervélo road bike (the red one if you aren't sure) is the same as my Raleigh Pioneer (the green one) - so we can swap :okay: . I wonder if he will notice :whistle:

s-l1600-jpg.338940.jpg

s-l1600-jpg.325759.jpg

Given though that Pon already have the rights to Raleigh in Europe not much may change. It hopefully means a stronger industry and the Haibike may mean more electric bikes available.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The old cycle makers like Raleigh, Claud Butler etc are now just names in global brand marketing. They still do mean something to a lot of people that's why they change hands for so much money.

If you did the swap @DCLane I think he might get the better of the deal.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Only on CC do I post a Cervélo S3 and a Raleigh Pioneer and the Raleigh gets greater interest :blink:

That's a nice Pioneer DC. 4130 framed version?

Yes, it's 4130 framed. The tiny crankset's been replaced by a larger 28/38/48 version with changed front mech, mudguards added and a different saddle.

The Raleigh is my local run-around with a rear pannier rack to go on soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well said @mjr Those Raleigh 4130 frames are a joy to ride, a surprisingly well kept secret. They're also very well constructed and finished in a very attractive and tough nylon powered coat.

DC clearly likes bikes for the joy of of riding them, not for the joy of cycling Top Trumps one upmanship.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
That S3 is awesome. Sold mine a few months ago. Didn't think I'd be able to ride it again because of my injury last year. Little too hasty perhaps. I'm now doing a Nick Skelton on my CAAD10 (ignoring Consultant's advice) and all seems fine, albeit with a 30 degree stem.

Top Bottom