Cervelo or Cannondale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've narrowed my options for n+1 down to two.

Cervelo R2 with 105 groupset
Cannondale Synapse Carbon with Ultegra 6800

I prefer the 6800 groupset but I feel the Cervelo's a better frame. So, do I get the Cervelo and plan to upgrade the groupset when funds permit or just go with the Cannondale. They're both lovely bikes so it's a good decision to have to make but I'm in a quandary.

Any thoughts?

Just buy the one that fits you the best :okay:

As for groupsets you won't feel any difference in use between the two IME.

Both nice bikes but you've put yourself between a rock and a hard place. Both marques have one super-weak point each. Cannondale is married to the stupid BB30 standard and Cervelo went one further and invented its own stupid BB standard called BB Right. Read up about the latter and if you can figure out what it is all about, you'll be a superb interpreter of the obscure.

But, I fancy both brands, I have a Cannondale of my own.

Citius

I've narrowed my options for n+1 down to two.

Cervelo R2 with 105 groupset
Cannondale Synapse Carbon with Ultegra 6800

I prefer the 6800 groupset but I feel the Cervelo's a better frame. So, do I get the Cervelo and plan to upgrade the groupset when funds permit or just go with the Cannondale. They're both lovely bikes so it's a good decision to have to make but I'm in a quandary.

Any thoughts?

Other than a small and insignificant weight saving, what benefits would you expect from upgrading the groupset from 105?

Citius

Why does it have to have any benefits? Can you not change something just because you like the look of something or just because you want to?

105 looks pretty much the same as Ultegra from a distance, so 'liking the look of it' probably doesn't cut it as a reason. I was only asking - try to stay calm.

Citius

I am just wondering why you feel the need to have someone justify why they want something on their bike.

Because we are on a discussion forum on the internet.

Citius

You should know that @Citius says this about most upgrades. You won't notice the difference between the weight saving or the better equipment allegedly.

Lol - bp's persistent comprehension problem strikes again :laugh:

I haven't said there's no benefit. I asked him what benefit he was expecting. There is a difference. If he doesn't want to answer, that's fine. But the question is not unreasonable. However, if you think it is unreasonable, unfair, or off topic, then report it. If you don't think it's unreasonable, then just try to accept that most propositions (except the ones on here, obviously) are based on a rationale of some sort. I'm just trying to find out what it is.

Me and my 'difficult' questions...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Aren't the two different 'styles' of bike though? **R2 more typical road race bike and the Synapse is a long headtube / sit up and enjoy type bike?

**Stopping and taking photographs of churches is optional on this type of steed

You should know that @Citius says this about most upgrades. You won't notice the difference between the weight saving or the better equipment allegedly.

Well all I can say to that is that I certainly notice the difference between my carbon framed bike and my aluminium one in feel and speed. I also notice a huge difference in smoothness that the different groupsets give (5700 and 6770) Each to their own.
Buy what you want and buy it for whatever reason you like, I don't think there is any reason to justify it to anybody else (except maybe the wife!)

bpsmith

Veteran
:becool::becool::becool:
Lol - bp's persistent comprehension problem strikes again :laugh:

I haven't said there's no benefit. I asked him what benefit he was expecting. There is a difference. If he doesn't want to answer, that's fine. But the question is not unreasonable. However, if you think it is unreasonable, unfair, or off topic, then report it. If you don't think it's unreasonable, then just try to accept that most propositions (except the ones on here, obviously) are based on a rationale of some sort. I'm just trying to find out what it is.

Me and my 'difficult' questions...
Nothing wrong with questions, or opinions, for that matter.

Just cracks me up to see you always reply with things like "insignificant weight savings" and "105 and Ultegra pretty much look the same from a distance". That's just in this thread and plenty in others.:becool:

Top Bottom