Chafing doesn’t cover it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a thought based on someone else's experience; is it possible you're allergic to any product that you're using - lotions, potions, washing powder?

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all and thanks for your comments - well, except for the public school reference @Tenacious Sloth :-)
Last night my backside was very sore and weeping and the shower had me gritting my teeth.
I had a poor nights sleep but today it seems a little better and dry. I can at least sit down again.
The redness is still very clear and pad shaped but I think it looks worse than it feels now.
I haven’t put anything on it.

The reason your pad is not protecting you is because your bib shorts don’t fit. They could be the wrong size or just cheap.

They must be tight, this means the pad is not too forward or too back. Nothing worn underneath and nothing over the top.

It is also likely that you’re not sitting on the saddle properly. With your sit bones planted properly taking all the weight there should be minimal movement. If your are rolled forward, the weight on your perineum will become excruciating.

A bike fit will help you find the right riding position.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The reason your pad is not protecting you is because your bib shorts don’t fit. They could be the wrong size or just cheap.

They must be tight, this means the pad is not too forward or too back. Nothing worn underneath and nothing over the top.

It is also likely that you’re not sitting on the saddle properly. With your sit bones planted properly taking all the weight there should be minimal movement. If your are rolled forward, the weight on your perineum will become excruciating.

+1 to the above.
Gotsome shorts that are too big and i can only use them for commute distances and my old shorts the pad stitching is coming undone so that the same so i am in the process of replacements .

Alan O

Über Member

Purely personal, but for me I think getting the right saddle and right riding position is way more important than getting the right padded shorts. In fact, I've never worn padded (or even proper cycling) shorts, and I'm currently riding in simple cotton/polyester shorts from Primark (which I think cost around £4). But I do have a Brooks Cambium saddle, and I've spent time micro-adjusting it to fit properly.

I can ride up to 100 miles without posterior discomfort - my legs, hands and feet hurt before my bum does. It might just be that I'm the man with the iron scranus - but on the wrong saddle or with a position that's slightly off, I get chafing and pains pretty quickly.

Tin Pot

Guru
I thought I knew how to sit on a bike five years ago, then two years ago I thought I definitely knew, last year I had a eureka moment and had it nailed, this year I think I’ve finally found the right way to sit on a bike...and I’m sure this will continue! :smile:

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
I hope I've ruled out issues with soap powder because my skin seems to be the sensitive bit of my entire being so I wash everything in non-bio to avoid a reaction.

I had considered my shorts might be the problem but I have the same in Spain where I also have a bike and have never had a problem with chafing there. I wear Btwin Aerofit shorts which get good reviews, yet recently gave away my club Santini shorts costing a shed load more because they were like riding with sofa cushion between my thighs.
However, this weekend I was in the bike shop and tried on the Gore C5 and Endura FS260 shorts. I liked one but not the other because of the wide straps, though I don't remember which one that was now - Doh!
I'll revisit my bib shorts thoughts.

I have had a bike fit on the bike I was riding at the weekend and have all the stats which I've checked.

The one thing I just can't seem to get right is a saddle - same old story there then.
Though I have had a fit at the specialized store who tell me the Toupe I ride is a little too narrow at 143mm and I need a 153mm
I would have thought the downside of this might be a sore bum sit bones but wouldn't have thought it was enough to cause such serious chafing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
A quick update to this for those kind enough to offer advice.

A visit to the Specialized store in Nottingham was interesting. I talked frankly with the person there who measured me for a saddle and told me the one I have is the one they would recommend.
However, they said perhaps my shorts are getting tired as I've had them a couple of years and wear them all the time. So I came away with a pair of Endura FS260PRO shorts which I'll test on a 60mile ride tomorrow and a 100 miler on Monday, along with a copious coating of Bum Butter

My arse - well thats recovering nicely and I yesterday - 5 days after the ride - I can finally sit down without pain. Mrs B tells me there are still a couple of places which aren't yet better, though E45 seems to be helping.

Thanks all.
IanB

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A quick update to this for those kind enough to offer advice.

A visit to the Specialized store in Nottingham was interesting. I talked frankly with the person there who measured me for a saddle and told me the one I have is the one they would recommend.
However, they said perhaps my shorts are getting tired as I've had them a couple of years and wear them all the time. So I came away with a pair of Endura FS260PRO shorts which I'll test on a 60mile ride tomorrow and a 100 miler on Monday, along with a copious coating of Bum Butter

My arse - well thats recovering nicely and I yesterday - 5 days after the ride - I can finally sit down without pain. Mrs B tells me there are still a couple of places which aren't yet better, though E45 seems to be helping.

Thanks all.
IanB
Is she lovingly applying it or is it a case of cream your own bits ? :smile:

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Lovingly applied obviously @cyberknight
Though I retain some dignity by absolutely refusing to just bend over, so I lie on the bed face down.
Its very tempting to talc up and fart but I'm resisting ;-)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There is one really simple solution .......
20180507_113338.jpg

Top Bottom