Chain breaking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Many cyclists recommend carrying a chain repair tool in your kit, just in case. I never do on the basis that it is very unlikely that my chain will break. I put a new one on every 12 to 18 months and regularly clean and oil it. I think the chances of a chain breaking is the same as the chances of winning the lottery. Am I right?

Reactions: gbb

Jimidh

Veteran
I had a chain break a few months ago on a bike that was only 3 months old so it can happen - although that's the first time that I've encountered the problem.

Happened on a pissing wet dark night so I called my wife and got a lift back rather than try to fix it so my chain tool wasn't used!!

AlanW

Guru
All depends on what speed chain you are referring to?

There is a much higher risk of breaking 10 or 11 speed chains because they are so much thinner. In truth I cannot recall every breaking 5sp, 6sp, 7sp, 8sp or even 9sp chains, however I have broken at least 3 x 10 sp chains. Fingers crossed so far so good with the 11sp, but I still carry a chain repair tool and a quick link just in case!

You say that you "put a new one on every 12 to 18 months", that in itself is pretty meaningless to be honest! For example if you haven't ridden it in 12 to 18 months then it will not need replacing?

You need to monitor the wear based on miles not time, and again it all depends on what speed you are running as to the life expectancy of the chain? Again for example, I replace my 11sp chain once a month, based on a Shimano Chain Checker tool, but then I am doing circa 1300 miles per month.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I've broken 5 and 6 speed chains but haven't broken a 10 speed chain yet. I carry a chain tool and power link working on the principle that s*** happens and a broken chain is likely to bring my ride to a premature end.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My multi-tool has a chain tool on it anyway, a quick link isn't that much more to carry, and however unlikely a chain breaking may be, it's a ride stopper.

I reckon the risk is low, but the impact is high. Fortunately, the "cost" of mitigating the risk (for me at least) is low.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think you are right that breaking a chain isn't a common thing and I never used to carry a chain tool. My mind was changed after meeting a group down a country lane who were in the process of fixing a snapped chain on one of their bikes. It occurred to me that as most of my rides are in quite rural parts where there isn't always a mobile phone signal, a breakage could end up in quite a long walk.

One of these: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOOO11IN1/on-one-11-in-1-multitool and a couple of quick links are a negligible weight to carry in return for a little peace of mind (That tool linked because it's the one I have and the chain splitter seems to work fine)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's rare (I've fixed one, during a sportive back when I was allowed to ride them) but it's a showstopper if you can't fix it, so it's worth carrying a mini chain tool (park CT1 I think I've got) and quick link IMO.

Always carry a chain breaker and the appropriate links and/or pins to rejoin a broken chain.
Chains don't break from brute pedaling force and the mode of wear is such that the chain is not weakened through use at all.
However, chains break due to faulty installation and a chance miss-shift at just exactly the right/wrong spot. Chains can also be plain faulty. A batch of SRAM chains once went out with faulty peening and I've had a batch in my workshop where the heat treatment went wrong and the chains all cracked on the side plate. You can also break a chain with a clutzy shift, especially on a MTB out on the trail.

Ironically, the new 10 and 11-speed chains, even though narrower than anything before them, are also stronger. This is because of recessed peening in a chamfered side plate. No amount of cleaning, lubricating and fussing over the chain will make it more break-proof. Just carry a chainbreaker and practice using it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Some perspective...
Im 57, cycled most of my life, from 3 speed clunkers as a kid to modern kit, I get out the saddle on hills and give it some, ive ridden bikes that had hopelessly rusted chains given a new life with patience and oil....ive NEVER broken a chain.
I may pay the price for that......

My one imperative, like gavroche, is change modern 9 speed or higher chains regularly

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I don't bother to carry a chain-breaker because I can't grip/turn the small ones enough to break a chain. I have a workshop version at home that does the job, but I'm not lugging that around on the offchance. There are some rare breakdowns where you just have to walk or call a taxi, I think.
FWIW, I've used the one on my Topeak Hexus in the workshop (well, garage) when my usual chain tool had been "tidied".

I don't carry a spare folding tyre in case of a (probably more likely) unfixable cut to my tyres, so do accept that there are some breakdowns that I couldn't deal with en route.

Tim Hall

My (very small) box of useful things includes a lightweight racing chainbreaker. If I'm doing a long(ish) ride I put the (very small) box in my rack bag. Over the past few years it's seen action three times I think, two on a FNRTTC, where someone else broke a chain and one on a Scout bike ride I was leading. The embarrassing thing on that one was the lad who broke the chain was riding a bike he'd borrowed from me. At least it cleared up why the chain had been skipping.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't carry a spare folding tyre in case of a (probably more likely) unfixable cut to my tyres, so do accept that there are some breakdowns that I couldn't deal with en route.
Yeah, it's a cost/risk/reward decision. A mini chain tool and quick link is a lot lighter than a spare folding tyre... and are tyre-killing cuts more likely than a chain snapping? Both of the seriously-slashed tyres I've seen (one mine, one someone else's) were repaired with a tyre boot enough to get home.

Top Bottom