Chain breaking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What! You mean somebody would stop doing something they enjoy due to having to wear a helmet, that is sad. Bit like taking the poison and hoping the other person gets ill.
Yep!

For example ...
Tour de Yorkshire Sportive conditions of ride said:
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
Bike & Helmet – Please make sure it is in good working condition and recently serviced.
Helmets are compulsory and MUST be worn on the day.

screenman

Legendary Member
Such a simple thing to stick on your head, and if the organisers want that rule then I would stick with them. No way would it stop me riding something I enjoyed and thought other's would do the same.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Such a simple thing to stick on your head, and if the organisers want that rule then I would stick with them. No way would it stop me riding something I enjoyed and thought other's would do the same.

It doesn't stop him riding and enjoying himself, it just stops him paying for the privilege to this particular organisation. It would be interesting to know if @mjray would stop cycling if pro-compulsion laws came in. Myself, I rarely wear a helmet on the road, but would accept compulsion rather than stop riding.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not done a sportive so do not know the rules, I have ridden many events where a helmet is compulsory though.

Mind you I would imagine anyone who does not like the rules would organise a non helmet sportive so that other like minded could ride.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It doesn't stop him riding and enjoying himself, it just stops him paying for the privilege to this particular organisation. It would be interesting to know if @mjray would stop cycling if pro-compulsion laws came in. Myself, I rarely wear a helmet on the road, but would accept compulsion rather than stop riding.
I stopped wearing initially due to neck pain (which stopped after I stopped wearing one) so I'd probably try to get a medical exemption first. And yes, that's why I can't ride sportive events any more. More used to let you choose. Now some are even closed if you are not "in good health" which is stupid because I'm sure many people cycle to stave off chronic illness like I do. It'd be better if instead of their pixy helmet rule for sportives, BC introduced a basic toolkit rule. Should it include a chain tool, though? ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have fixed my own chain when a side plate popped on the road and have converted a fellow forum members into a single speed after their rear mech failed, which got them the last twenty or so miles home.
The only time I didn't bother fixing a bust chain at the roadside was when I face planted when the chain failed under load as I was sprinting out of the saddle. At the time I was more worried about the volume of blood coming from my face so called swmbo to do a car intervention. :ohmy::B)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My riding nowadays is almost exclusively long day rides. I always carry a chain tool but not a spare link. My logic is that if I have to remove one link I can complete the ride and replace the link later. I've always imagined that the link most likely to fail is the one I've most recently used to join the ends when I last refitted the chain. When there is such a simple fix to a problem which would otherwise be a ride terminator I can't see any reason not to carry the tool.

As others have said, sorting out a stiff link by the road needs a chain tool, and I'm sure I've done that a few times over the years.

Someone commented above that a small hand tool is too difficult to operate. Until very recently I've been carrying a bad one - small and light but very hard to use. For a while I assumed it was me, but in the end I reasoned that the screw threads must be ill-fitting. When it reached the point where maximum pressure is applied, it needed too much strength simply to turn the screw, making it almost impossible to do the job in hand. I've replaced it with another, which works much more easily.

Top Bottom