Chain Broken - What replacement options for KMC X11EL-1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

After some serious climbs and sprints over the past few weeks, I noticed an occasional ticking noise from my drive train but, have only discovered the cause tonight, whilst giving the bike a routine check over.

50010518507_e6c0d0cd5b_z.jpg

Bike : 2017 Giant Propel.
Speed : Shimano 11 speed (50/34 - 11/28).
OEM chain I believe is a KMC X11EL-1 (although the one on the bike may not be the original).

I've never replaced a chain so now I need help from fellow members.

I'm guessing any KMC X11 chain will be OK, but, they are offered in 114 and 118 links. Any ideas which one I need?

I will get myself a chain tool as well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Take out the broken link and replace with an 11 speed quick link?

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Fair point, had not thought of that!

I'll see if my local guy has any spare, if not, I'll just a new chain as I have no idea on the history of this one.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Any x11 chain will do. Just count how many links are in the existing chain and order the new one accordingly. They charge a disproportionate increase for the extra couple of links in the 118 length one! Just had to bite that bullet myself....

EDIT: While putting in a quick link might be a perfectly good short term fix, I suggest you still replace the chain as the failed plate is likely to be indicative of the condition of the rest of the chain.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Any x11 chain will do. Just count how many links are in the existing chain and order the new one accordingly. They charge a disproportionate increase for the extra couple of links in the 118 length one! Just had to bite that bullet myself....

EDIT: While putting in a quick link might be a perfectly good short term fix, I suggest you still replace the chain as the failed plate is likely to be indicative of the condition of the rest of the chain.

I just had a closer look at the chain and found a further 3 links with cracks that would probably break. I saw the chain has KMC engraved on it so assume its the original chain. A new chain it has to be in this case. (Good job I checked as it probably would have failed and had me splattered across the road today!)

I'm just going to get a replacement KMC X11 from Merlin as they have more options from £20 upwards whereas the usual suspects only show the superlight £58 ones.

Kryton521

Über Member
Connex wipperman? Me thinks.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

The chain wasn't showing signs of stretch (according to my chain tool). The chain was running smooth and quiet since my ownership and the occasional clicking noise only occurred over the last 20 or so miles with no difference in rotational feel.

Hopefully the cassette is OK if not, thanks for pointing it out so I'll be aware.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another KMC chain. I do not patch chains with another quick link as this damage is likely to stress the links and pins around the fractured link. You've also then got a spare link should you need it on the road - always save old links. It's not worth missing teeth.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
New chain sounds you can get away without replacing cassette,and it's much cheaper than spending £10,000 on reconstructive dentistry .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just had a closer look at the chain and found a further 3 links with cracks that would probably break. I saw the chain has KMC engraved on it so assume its the original chain. A new chain it has to be in this case. (Good job I checked as it probably would have failed and had me splattered across the road today!)

I'm just going to get a replacement KMC X11 from Merlin as they have more options from £20 upwards whereas the usual suspects only show the superlight £58 ones.
KMC chains. Cheapest is plain grey, then is the aesthetically pleasing black/chrome. Anything more expensive than them is pure indulgence and frippery!

I was going to mention the chain/cassette wear issue but as it happens you seem to have that already covered. Just bare in mind it might not run smooth straight away but that isn't necessarily a disaster. I recently fitted a 4th chain to the cassette on my commuter at 4500 miles and it did skip a bit for the first 100 miles but is now running perfectly.
If you can nurse it for the bedding in period it may well settle down and run ok in the end?

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom