Chain cleaner tool that attach to the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think there may not be anything wrong with the tool, just that some people have a problem using it, not here though it is simple in my humble.

Brooks

Bought a chain cleaner from lidl and I thought it was crap. I now spray degreaser on a cloth and back peddle and get a far cleaner chain. Each to their own!

screenman

Legendary Member
Bought a chain cleaner from lidl and I thought it was crap. I now spray degreaser on a cloth and back peddle and get a far cleaner chain. Each to their own!

Interesting that, in which way did it not work for you. I wipe my chain with a cloth before running it through the tool and I can assure you the tool makes a far better job. How can it not?

was taking a closer look at my MTB chain yesterday. was hoping I would find one of those easy to release master links, because I have the Park brand chain plier tool but haven't used it yet. that particular chain does not have one. I might give another look today. regardless, as I was wiping the chain, I was noticing fibers in the middle of the chain links. they were covered with the expected grime. I started poking the spaces between links with a stick to get them out. now I'm thinking of using a straw cleaner brush with a little lube or mineral spirits. I still intend on removing a chain or two (on this or other bikes) for better cleaning, but a straw brush just might be a useful addition to the box of bike cleaning brushes

box of brushes.JPG

Last edited:
I use a similar looking brush for poking around inside the front derailleur cage and similar places, but I imagine using a brush to clean between the rollers of every single chain link could be a tad tedious.
lol yes! but if that grunge has been in there for a long time, since I usually just wipe the outside, then maybe only once or twice a year will suffice. or maybe just on the worst links?

there have been several occasions where I've used 2 toothbrushes taped together, facing ea other, with the chain running between them. but even that is just a glancing blow to the inside of the links

2 tooth brushes.JPG

for between the chain rings I've started using those skinny, flat scouring pads they sell for pots/ pans & whatever

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
lol yes! but if that grunge has been in there for a long time, since I usually just wipe the outside, then maybe only once or twice a year will suffice. or maybe just on the worst links?

there have been several occasions where I've used 2 toothbrushes taped together, facing ea other, with the chain running between them. but even that is just a glancing blow to the inside of the links

Just buy a chain cleaner, some white spirit and learn how to use it, simple in fact extremely simple.

DRM

Guru
I've got the Park Tool one, it works really well, I'm lucky that I get water soluble aerosol degreaser from work, so I spray some on the chain, cassette chain ring then use a solution of water & washing up liquid in the Park Tool cleaner, and then the same on the cassette & chain ring with a paint brush, dry it off and oil the chain.

ianbarton

Veteran
I find that wiping the chain with a paper towel sprayed with GT85 removes much of the muck. Then just re-lube it. If it's really mucky you may need to use a small screwdriver to plink out much from the jockey wheels. Not a perfect method, but quick and easy to do after a ride.

I think it's like flossing our teeth, meaning doig it is more important than how you do it. looking at mine today, I remembered it didn't have a cleaning in a long time & needed it's "annual" cleaning. still could have done a more thorogh job. a simple chain cleaning tool wasn't going to remove what it needed removed. also depends on what riding you do. street riding or off road. my MTB chain had a mixture of God-only-knows-what. plus it seems, whenever I clean something, I wind up cleaning the things next to it, such as rear cogset, front chain rings & both derailleurs

straw brush dipped in mineral spirits was productive but didn't fit in every other narrow link

straw brush cropped.jpg

found some pipe cleaners. doubling them over was the best thickness for the narrow links

pipe cleaner close up.jpg

basically it was combined particles of everything on the planet that I've been riding over, this past year, with an interesting mix of binders forming resilient fibers. mud, soil, pine needles, leaves, sand, twigs, minuscule road kill?, stone dust, all manner of detritus, grime & chain lube

fibers and sludge from chain.JPG

an empty whisky nip, full of mineral spirits, was a good small container for dipping the brush & pipe cleaners into

mineral spirits in whisky nip.JPG

cleaning ea link let me find the master link, so I got the Park tool & removed it

chain off bike w tool.JPG

I was tempted to soak it in 3 pickle jars but opted not to this time. instead I cleaned it more by hand then set it to dry, while I cleaned the rest of the drivetrain. after a cpl hours I lubed it by hand & flexed ea link. when I found a link that wasn't flexing as smoothly as the others I lubed it more & flexed it until it felt better. then wiped it continuously until the dry chain lube actually dried. & put it back on. not sparkling, but a heck of a lot cleaner & more functional. did a test ride in the parking lot. btw - taking the chain off the bike let's one clean, actuate & lube the derailleurs much more easily w/o the chain getting in the way!

cassette cogs and chain.JPG

btw the rear gears are best done with the specific brushes for getting into that area for mechanical cleaning (but after looking at this photo, I went back out with a steak knife, to get the remaining circle of grit)

rear cogset brushes.jpg

shame on me for abusing & neglecting this bike's drivetrain, for so long

Last edited:

weareHKR

a simple chain cleaning tool wasn't going to remove what it needed removed.
Seriously Rocky, throw away all your brushes, pipe cleaners, pickle jars, mineral spirits, whisky bottles etc etc, go and invest in a single Park Tool Chain Cleaner 5.3 & a bottle of quality degreaser.
Your chain will be sparkling, not only on the outside but more importantly on the inside, all that shite around the rollers what you can't see will be washed away... & with the magnet at the base of the cleaner that will pull out all the metal particles.
All that gear you use & the amount of time you spent on doing it, I can guarantee your chain is not clean where it needs to be, you've just made it look clean! 15 minutes with the correct tool & your done.

Last edited:
Seriously Rocky, throw away all your brushes, pipe cleaners, pickle jars, mineral spirits, whisky bottles etc etc, go and invest in a single Park Tool Chain Cleaner 5.3 & a bottle of quality degreaser.
You chain will be sparkling, not only on the outside but more importantly on the inside, all that shite around the rollers what you can't see will be washed away... & with the magnet at the base of the cleaner that will pull out all the metal particles.All that gear you use & the amount of time you spent on doing it, I can guarantee your chain is not clean where it needs to be, you've just made it look clean! 15 minutes with the correct tool & your done.
hehe OK I'll take that under advisement ;-)

cm2mackem

Über Member

View attachment 560596

for between the chain rings I've started using those skinny, flat scouring pads they sell for pots/ pans & whatever
I use two nail brushes in the same way, spray the chain with degreaser and then run through the brushes,

Top Bottom