Chain cleaner tool that attach to the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

Any particular cleaning tools in mind?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you mean the ones you attached to the chain with reservoir of cleaner.
Then no, they are useless and a waste of time.

You'll use it once, spread muck all over the place, wonder what to do with all the contaminated cleaning fluid and oil, and then revert back to the tried and tested Mickle method of chain cleaning. The 'chain cleaner' will then end up gathering dust in your garage never to be used again.

I think they are pretty useless.

Gave a near unused one away a couple of weeks ago.

I shake the chain around in a 1 litre plastic milk bottle with some screwfix degreaser.

Rinse, dry, re-oil, done.

I have one. I've used it with some kind of orange bio safe cleaner, didn't really do anything. used it with a green product which was smellier, also didn't do much. tried it with mineral spirits, that was a little better how to dispose of

but I've never found that device to be fully adequate. I always have to do something else for the chain. & I agree there is great potential for mess. I need to be better at chain removal, beause I think that allows a better cleaning & let's the user isolate any mess, with more control

I've used a Parktool one for several years and find it very useful. It cleans the chain well, isn't messy at all and allows you to collect waste cleaning fluids for correct recycling. The process is very straight forwards and takes about 5 mins to get a really clean chain on the bike including the rinsing process. I typically do 2 cleans and then 3-4 rinses with clean soapy water.

Personally i think it's a great device.

Top Bottom