Chain Cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

image.png
well my chain wants cleaning and though I'd ask about these, see picture, are they any good or just waffle?

al3xsh

Über Member
I think they are really good! I have both the park tools one you have linked to and the muc off one. The park tools one is a bit easier to use, but the muc off one keeps the dirty degreaser away from the chain and seems to be a bit more effective.

I have tried the wipe-lube-repeat method, but don't have the patience for it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had a previous model. I used it once.

Basically I think the whole notion of degreasing chains is just wrong. Oil and a rag, the so-called "mickle" method, works for me. And before Mickle chips in with false modesty, it's worth remembering that the oily rag method is just sloppy and lazy, but give it the official tag of "the mickle method" and it becomes a respectable maintenance regime.

Joking aside, using solvents and / or detergents to remove all the oil is just silly, as you then have to get new oil back inside the links, possibly now diluted with solvent and (worse) detergent. If you clean the chain with the very oil you're intending to oil it with, then you can't really go wrong in my view. A work colleague was saying my bike was a disgrace, yet had to add that my chain wasn't rusty yet his ultra clean one was.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought one of those and used it a couple of times but it makes such a mess that I gave up. Also if you're not careful, the cleaning fluid dribbles down the chainrings and gets inside the BB bearings, ruining them.

More recently I have spent lots of time removing chains and washing them in a tray of paraffin then drying them. Like PP above though I'm beginning to suspect that washing all the lubricant out is counter-productive and I'm now using the Mickle method; re-lube, wait a few minutes then pull the chain through a micro-fibre cloth dampened with paraffin. The chain looks clean and doesn't sound gritty when twisted.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Flush the muck out with fresh lube. Only degrease if it gets really plastered inside with shoot so bad that it's gritty even after flushing but then it might be new chain time, anyway. You can buy a good new SRAM chain for less than that cleaner.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You will use it once. Cause a mess. Realise that the Mickle method is far easier and less mess and hassle. Put it in your shed and never use it again.
... and you'll quite possibly also notice that keeping the chain cleaner clean becomes a major hassle.

Top Bottom