Chain Cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Do park tools make a chain cleaner cleaner?

Hang on, you'd then need a .....
... base case.

(yes, I'm a software engineer, and recursion's the name of the game)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
As other have said...mickle it...clean your chain with the lube you're going to use, and NEVER degrease it...why degrease it, just to re-lube it? Clean oil removes old oil deposits and keeps everything hunky dory...

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I bought one of the £2.99 Chinese clones off Ebay, because I decided it wouldn't really be much of a loss.

After a bit of experimentation, I found it works best if you fill it with WD40 to get the crap off (I will ride in the wet) and then clean that off with the same general FWE degreaser/cleaner I use on the rest of the bike.

Having done that and cleaned the cassette/chainwheels the same way, but with a brush, I give it a good clean water rinse and then apply liberal lube having spun everything good and hard to spin all of the water, etc off. I let the lube settle in for a while while I chamois the rest of the bike and then run the chain though a rag with a good tight grip. I then re-apply lube sparingly to finish.

Everything still looks like new, runs creamy smooth and quiet. I am a bit anal, but this only gets done when the chain starts to look grimy. Otherwise, I re-apply a bit of lube once a week, which equates to about every hundred miles. It may not need doing like this, but careful cleaning like this lets you spot other stuff that needs a tweek to keep it 'just so' as it makes you take your time as you work your way round - think spoke tension, etc. I couldn't be arsed to do it more than once a month though!

Russell

Top Bottom