chain cleaning...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by mikehorne, 9 Feb 2018.

1. mikehorne

mikehorne Regular

yes its probably been discussed a million times but... seem tempted to buy the Park Tool type cleaner for the complete automated process? however I do like to remove the chain and give it a proper clean?

what and how do you do yours.....

Milzy likes this.
  2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Tap Mickle Method into the search box for a lot of CCers preferred method.

Milzy, robjh, Drago and 1 other person like this.
  3. rrarider

rrarider Well-Known Member

I put the chain in an old saucepan filled with paraffin to a depth of about an inch. I put the pan on a solid fuel camping stove outside in the garden. I then light the stove to boil the paraffin and stir the chain about. The paraffin sometimes catches fire but it gets all the grit out of the chain which comes out nice and clean. I fish the chain out of the pan with a bent coat hanger and hang it up to cool.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
    raleighnut and Milzy like this.
  4. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Senior Member

You’re right there Mike. There’s as much chain-cleaning advice for cyclists on the web as there are cat memes. Surely you could just pick a method and then look at your chain to see if it’s clean.
    Go over to CTC forum for a browse: they get very worked up over there about it all.

On a related note, anyone got a good way to sharpen pencils? I’ve got a load need doing and thought I’d tune out and do them tonight....

mickle, Illaveago, Drago and 2 others like this.
  5. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Not so much of late, but then all of a sudden here we are with a chain cleaning thread.

Coincidence?

mickle likes this.
  6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

You cruel person! Stop cleaning your chain with a cat!

CTC is no more :sad:

raleighnut, Illaveago and Drago like this.
  7. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

Trouble is with those things is: you have to clean them afterwards, which is a pain. Spray, wipe, spray, wipe, lube. wipe, lube wipe for me and every 800-1000km (ie at about the half life of the chain) remove, place in a lidded container of paraffin and several good shakes and wash and dry well (on a radiator), and lube, wipe, lube (with chainsaw oil since you don't ask). Full clean of cassette, chain rings and jockey wheels at that point too.

8. mjr

Do you have a machine for getting the lubricant into the chain or do you just leave the degreaser in it to trash it in short order? :crazy:

9. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

I had one of those and eventually chucked it out. AS noted above, you have to clean the damned thing after you've used it and that is more of a hassle than cleaning the chain ever was. I also found that it could spray dirty cleaning fluid everywhere too, when you used it. All in all, a prime waste of money. Cleaning a chain is not hard - wipe and lube, really. Learn from my mistake. Save your money.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. If you’ve got a pressure washer, cleaning the chain cleaning machine is easy. Hold the machine in one hand, blast through with the pressures washer, easy. The chain clean machines are brilliant things, certainly not a waste of money in my experience, and ( if you use them correctly) do extend the life of your chain. Wiping and lubing isn’t an effective way of cleaning the chain, as you don’t get the muck out from in between the links, and the little bits of muck from the rivets. The ‘wiping and lubing’ thing is like brushing your teeth, by rubbing tooth paste around your mouth, using your finger, whereas using the chain clean machine is like using a proper tooth brush, and those little interdental brushes. The former may superficially make your teeth look clean, but hasn’t done much really, the latter means you’ve actually cleaned your teeth properly. Ironically, you can use the interdental tooth brushes to clean the bits between the links of your chain, if you can be arsed. Using the ultrasonic bath for your chain, is a bit like using mouthwash after brushing your teeth as well. Ironically, I suspect a lot of the folk who subscribe to the ‘wipe and lube, it’s the only way, those machines are the devil’s work I tells ya’ trope, probably need an ultrasonic bath to clean their ( false ) teeth.

11. mjr

Still not seeing how you get the mucky degreaser out from in between the links in your method.

I've still the same teeth I had when I was 16. You?

Illaveago likes this.
  12. Until and unless someone does a @Reiver style test carefully measuring recorded chain life against cleaning methods we'll never know whether or not faffing around with machines, ultrasonic baths, paraffin tanks and so on is effective in increasing the effectiveness and longevity of those oh so expensive chains.

Until we get some evidence, it's all just a matter of taste and self-image. If you see yourself as a paraffin wax melty kinda guy (or gal) then go for it. If you hang with the twiddly machine dudes, then that's cool.

I for my part am a rag soaked in white spirit and toothbrush dipped in white spirit kinda guy. It's how I roll.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  13. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Holding something in your hand whilst trying to pressure wash it is never a good idea,at best youll get p1ssed wet through....or cause yourself injury

14. I’ve never had a problem thus far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice