Chain compatibility - 6 speed rear block to 8 speed front chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

un.hinged

Regular
Is it possible to use an older style six speed Shimano rear block with a front chain-ring designed for a 7/8 speed rear block? I am guessing that the older style may use a fatter chain, would that present a problem when changing gear on the front rings? Will this work? Are there any issues? Or do I need a matching rear block (and SIS shifter)?

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, so sorry if you're repeating yourself. I did a search but couldn't find a thread that answered this. Cheers..

Erudin

Veteran

Even 7/8sp chain rings work with 10sp chains, its the thickness of the plate links that have got narrower as a rule, not sure about 11sp, not looked into it, and yes i have run a 10sp chain on a 7/8sp intended chain ring.

OP
OP
un.hinged

un.hinged

Regular
Thanks for the replies. I have been away from cycling for about 25 years... and there seems to have been a few changes! So there are some HUGE gaps in my knowledge - some tech has been invented and then been superseded meaning I have missed a whole dollop of development. It's all good fun trying to catch up though:smile:

Top Bottom