Chain falling off front mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It might just be poor gear changing technique

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
It might just be poor gear changing technique
Correct. But mechanical/adjustment issues should be investigated first. It's tough doing it remotely though, isn't it?

I suppose we could just tell Fraz to reset the whole thing and adjust from scratch using Shimano user manual... Or take it to a mechanic... But that's no fun ;)

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Probably because I'm explaining it very poorly.

The procedure:

Put the lever in the 'big ring' position - all the way. And then do the 'half click' down - you know, the click that doesn't make you shift down to the small ring but just moves the FD slightly inwards to make room for a bit of cross-chaining.

When in that position, look at your FD, specifically this part with the two lines I've highlighted with a red and blue arrow:

View attachment 654275

Are these lines... In-line? :laugh:

No

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Think we need pictures of the FD cage: one from the side in the large ring, and one from above the FD with the chain in the small ring and largest sprocket.
Maybe the wax on the chain is causing this increase in chain drop.;)

Big ring front,mid cog rear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Think we need pictures of the FD cage: one from the side in the large ring, and one from above the FD with the chain in the small ring and largest sprocket.
Maybe the wax on the chain is causing this increase in chain drop.;)

Small cog front,big cog rear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
OK. Adjust the 'tension screw' (clockwise, location below) until they align. If you do it up all the way and they still don't align, you need to release the cable and re-pinch.
IMG_20220725_165754_2_2.jpg

Big ring front,mid cog rear
It's a bit difficult to tell, but it seems like the FD is not parallel to the chainring. If that's indeed the case, adjust with this screw:

IMG_20220725_170720_9_2.jpg

Send through that side-photo as well (when in big ring) - so we can see the distance between chainring and FD edge.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
OK. Adjust the 'tension screw' (clockwise, location below) until they align. If you do it up all the way and they still don't align, you need to release the cable and re-pinch.
View attachment 654356

It's a bit difficult to tell, but it seems like the FD is not parallel to the chainring. If that's indeed the case, adjust with this screw:

View attachment 654358

Send through that side-photo as well (when in big ring) - so we can see the distance between chainring and FD edge.

The bold bit was what I thought. Imho it needs about half a degree rotation CW so the plate/cage part of the FD is parallel to the rings.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Ok so cable tension is sorted, I’ve lined the arrows up.

Big cog front,mid cog rear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2

Will Spin

Über Member
Correct. But mechanical/adjustment issues should be investigated first. It's tough doing it remotely though, isn't it?

I suppose we could just tell Fraz to reset the whole thing and adjust from scratch using Shimano user manual... Or take it to a mechanic... But that's no fun ;)
Read the Shimano dealer manual - always works for me! Front mechs are quite tricky to set up.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Looks like it's adjusted. Give that a try.

Noticed that the 'tension screw' is (almost?) all the way in. Always a good idea to re-pinch the cable and leave some room for on-road adjustments. But that's just advice - not a necessity.

I tried to do that. Had long nose pliers on the cable to pre tension it but that was as tight as I could get it.

I’ll update once I’ve done some mileage

Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited:
Top Bottom