Chain gone pop question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
ta gents it's two lots of take something off and put another one on isn't, that ai thnk i can handle

I got some good allen keys, peg spanner, chain whip and lockring remover it is, the veloce stuff is all two steps up from my xenon bits anyway so cool

what does the chainring have to be? 10 speed? campag compatible?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP121.aspx?TRACK=DFR

101 pounds for a 10 speed chain whip

wha?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
wow so people really do pay £100 for a chain whip, what does it do?

A saw a Parks tool kit for £6,000 too

thanks all, the current cassette is 12-26, just have to check the big ring now but I think it'll be 52T

then I'm good to go, as soon as i have the money and time

woohoo

Veteran
Tynan said:
wow so people really do pay £100 for a chain whip, what does it do?

My chain whip cost me all of £1 (from Poundland) :biggrin:. It was sold as a car oil filter remover but it does the job and I’ve used it on my 10 speed Centaur cassette without any problems.

PS The campagnolo 11 speed chain tool costs £114.45 :wacko: (but Ribble are doing a 10% discount on it :biggrin: ).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
Chain 28.99 - £17.45 KMC X10 Silver/Grey 10speed Chain 2009 - that going to be ok?
as far as I can tell - reading around a bit, it seems chains is chains, pretty much. There's one chap on the CTC forum running his Campag 10 speed with Shimano chains, wrong morally, but works technically, apparently.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
cool, the Parker people have confirmed it runs on Campag gears

just wait to hear from the shop in Colorado then, and compare it to some pics of Veloce stuff here, it does seem awfully cheap

woohoo

Veteran
Tynan said:
cool, the Parker people have confirmed it runs on Campag gears

just wait to hear from the shop in Colorado then, and compare it to some pics of Veloce stuff here, it does seem awfully cheap

I'm running a KMC X10L chain on my 10 speed Campagnolo setup without any problems and that's after the "missing link" has been used a couple of times.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
Only £81 at Ribble ;)

Just about anything will do for holding the cassette still whilst you undo the lockring.
It's probably worth getting a good chainwhip for getting fixed gear sprockets off, when you may be extending the whip with a bit of pipe for extra leverage, but even so £80-100 is over the top.

If the Colorado chainring doesn't pan out, Spa do suitable Stronglight ones for £25 or £15.
The £15 ones may not be all that hard wearing, so you would be more likely to need to change them if you run the new chain and cassette to death.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I've got a bid on the $15 ring now, bloke say another $17 for shipping plus insurance, so it still half price anyway you work it

I have to say I'm amazed at the cost of components

thanks for the tips

I reckon I get get it all for half price, even with tools, the big ring is the big saving, ebay shaves £10 a part off the chain and cassette

Until last Sunday, I was using total Campag. Veloce and 9 speed chain set up. As I usually change both at 'worn out time' I bought a BBB cassette from Parkers. It is working with a KMC 9 speed chain.
Piece of cake to fit the chain. Everything runs smoothly too. Below are the 10 speed equivalents to what I bought in 9 speed.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/3785/BBB-Drivetrain-10sp-Campagnolo-Cassette.html

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/2794/KMC-X10-Silver-Grey-10speed-Chain.html

I work in Kentish Town Tynan - you're welcome to borrow the Campag lockring tool / chainwhip etc if it helps save a few squid. It's one of life's little pleasures, sliping a new cassette onto the hub...and tightening the lockring. :smile:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Bless you Apertif, I'll take you up on that in due course

Just snagged a 52t Veloce big ring for all of $5.50 from the man in Colarado, even with $17 for delivery, that's a third of the rrp, in that spirit I feel duty bound to continue in a miserly cheapskate vein

$24.95 is the delivered and insured total , touch

Top Bottom