Chain has removed itself from the chainring and the chain guard is seemingly impossible to remove.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GreenwichSi

Regular
After the Great Evanscycles Fiasco concluded at the end of last week. I was all set to go on my first ride on Saturday, I get the bike outside and start pedalling, only to realise I'm going nowhere as the chain has decided to remove itself from the chainring. "Easy enough to fix", says I before I realise that the chain is covered by a guard that is seemingly impossible to remove. So I'm off to Halfords this week to get them to do it, which is annoying and another expense (I did try my local bike shop but they ran a mile when they saw that it was an electric bike).

BUT, if anyone just so happens to know how to remove the chain guard from an Raleigh Motus 2021, I'd be grateful. I've attached a couple of pics.

Sadly, my attempts to remove it, as gentle as they were resulted in a small crack which you can see in the 1st pic. Hopefully it's not too much of a big deal.

Attachments

• 20210621_080713.jpg
    20210621_080713.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210621_080652.jpg
    20210621_080652.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 42

snorri

Legendary Member
You don't say if you have consulted the Owners Manual.
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/bike-knowledge/raleigh-bike-manuals/

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
You don't say if you have consulted the Owners Manual.
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/bike-knowledge/raleigh-bike-manuals/

Sorry, I had done and it says :
" If the cycle is equipped with an all-round chain guard, have your dealer explain how to remove and fit the guard, or have them remove and fit it for you. Remove dirt from the bike chain with a clean cloth, lightly oiled if necessary "

The dealer being Evans in this case, and after my dealings with them, well, there's a reason I'm going to Halfords! It's not a huge deal, if I have to wait til Thursday, then I have to wait til Thursday!

snorri

Legendary Member
Who'd have thought removing a chainguard could be such a complex business?
Hoping you soon recover from these early hiccups and enjoy many happy miles with your ebike:smile:.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
As it is a new bike it needs to go back to where it was bought, otherwise the warranty may become void.

Top Bottom