Chain Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham jw

I've recently bought a quick release chain link. I've only just noticed it's a SRAM link and my chain is shimano. Is it compatible?

Also, can anyone shed any light on how I go about installing the link. I have a chain breaking tool as part of my topeak multi tool but, I'm not sure how to use it?

Thanks.

Manonabike

Über Member
Yes, they are shimano compatible.

Fit one quick link on each opposite end of the chain and then join them.

I've recently bought a quick release chain link. I've only just noticed it's a SRAM link and my chain is shimano. Is it compatible?

Also, can anyone shed any light on how I go about installing the link. I have a chain breaking tool as part of my topeak multi tool but, I'm not sure how to use it?

Thanks.

As already answered yes they are compatible, Ive been using the SRAM link for years as its faster for joining chains and for taking them off (unless its 10sp).

Just put the chain to the same length (removing excess with the chain tool) and join with the Sram powerlink. Its quite simple the two halves come together and when pulled apart lock into each other. The 10sp ones dont come apart and require you to step on pedal whilst holding the bike stationery to lock them. The topeak chain tool works similar to as shown but you need to remove the tyre lever that has a small hex key it becomes the handle for the tool.

Top Bottom