Chain keeps getting stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes when I shift down onto the smallest chain-ring (I have 3 on my MTB) the chain gets stuck. It doesnt slip off on the inside of the ring, more like the bottom part of the chain tries to go round the top part of the chain ring, if you see what I mean.

It happens about 50% of the time and if I back-pedal when it happens, the chain will happily go around and around forever! Also, it will work normally, if I the bike is standing on it`s own, I can just pedal it around by hand and nothing untoward happens.

The problem seems to be when i`m actually on the bike, applying pressure on the pedals - and before any smart-a*se suggests it, i`m only 13st!. However, again, if I can get the "revs" right, the chain works no problem. Any help well appreciated

How clean or well lubricated is your chain? A dirty and/or not very well lubricated chain could be the reason.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Not that as I clean and lube it after every ride just now - maybe it`s over-lubed and snaking around on it`s own lol

I also presume there`s not a problem with either front or back derailleurs as it would happen every time??

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Did you do as I suggested, by your description you have chain suck.
I was a bit worried about what would come up lol - U learn something new everyday!

And having read all that, it would appear I ma need a new chain-ring! The bike is only 18 months old so i`m a bit miffed by that. It had a service last Sept and I was told the chain-ring looked fine altho a new chain would be a good idea. Having recently returned to cycling after a long hiatus, I took the shop at their word - looks like more expense ahead!

Last edited:
Replace chains regularly and your sprockets and chain rings will last for many years. It sound like you allowed a chain to grow old on the bike and it's killed all the components that it came into contact with.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Replace chains regularly and your sprockets and chain rings will last for many years. It sound like you allowed a chain to grow old on the bike and it's killed all the components that it came into contact with.

It had a new chain put on in Sept after one year of use and alot of that time I wasnt even using mt MTB! How often should I change the chain - I always clean and lube my chain after use and I was following the advice given in the shop.

uclown2002

Guru
It had a new chain put on in Sept after one year of use and alot of that time I wasnt even using mt MTB! How often should I change the chain - I always clean and lube my chain after use and I was following the advice given in the shop.
If you get a chain wear indicator change it when it's 0.75% stretched.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I used one of those little chain cleaning devices and then lube with either wet or dry lube dependent on weather. As to miles, I would guess probably about 1,500 per annum

Top Bottom