Chain length after chainring change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I was running a 13-24 cassette on 42/52 rings

I'm swapping these out for a 12-28 cassette on 38/52 rings

I'm wondering if I'll need to remove any links as a 38t to 12t is 26t difference, 42t to 13t is 29t difference.

I'm OK at the low end as I've added 4 on the sprocket and taken 4 from the chainring

Will the B screw allow any adjustment?

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Have a look at this thread

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Adjusting the B screw

I don't believe Shimano's 90 degree to the ground rule works all the time. If you look at Shimano's tech docs, they admit there are exceptions (e.g. when the smallest rear sprockets are beyond certain size), and I would have thought it also depends on how far one pushes the rear mech beyond official spec., or how far one needs to push an existing chain to fit.

I always use a calculator, easy enough to use and the theory behind it is far more robust, imho.

To answer the OP's question, the size of the small sprockets front and back have nothing to do with the minimum acceptable length of the chain (it being determined by the chain's ability to wrap around both large ones while leaving some slack for the rear mech). Hence in his case IF the existing chain is at the limit he will need to add, not remove, 2 links. On the other hand, one can use a chain longer than optimum if one wants as long as the rear mech has adequate wrap range (meaning long enough cage) to take up the slack. One might want to do the latter, e.g., if one might get a bigger large sprocket front or back later.

A potential issue the OP might encounter, depending on the spec of his existing rear mech, is exceeding its wrap range (since it is going from 21T to 30T). Adjusting the B screw can help a mech clearing the largest rear sprocket (especially if it is beyond the mech's spec), but exceeding the wrap range has implications on cross-chaining, reading the relevant section here may help.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Anyhow, installed the parts and seems to work ok on the stand, will road test later.

There's plenty of chain for 52/28 although in reality I would never use this combination as it is covered by the 38 ring.

The rear derailleur is not at 90 degrees, but very close to 90

Top Bottom