Chain length question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
hiya , I have mentioned that I am intending to put a 10 speed 11-34 cassette on the road bike, what length chain should I get ?
Regular or long ?
The mech in the shop was not to sure , at the mo it's got an 11-25 ,

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Always get long and remove links to suit

Ajax Bay

Guru
For about the 1000th time
@ozboz Have you come across the 'Search' facility on Cycle Chat? (Hint: Box in top right corner, below the word 'Alerts') Try 'Chain length', press 'Search' and see what a treasure trove of threads you can enjoy.
what length chain should I get ? Regular or long ?
The mech in the shop was not to [sic] sure
And what did you mean by 'regular' or 'long' - how many links in each of those (each link is one inch)? I'd go to a different bike shop if the "mech" can't help you with this.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A full link is one inch, which takes two teeth. The chain only goes round half the sprocket, so a largest sprocket 9 teeth more requires . . . .

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As you are changing to a setup with 9 more teeth on the big sprocket I'd add 9 teethsworth of chain over the old one. ie 9 full links
For 9 more teeth on the big sprocket you need 4.5 teeths-worth of extra chain - i.e. 2 pairs of links more, unless your previous chain was right on the limit, in which case you'll want 3 pairs of links extra.

The chain length has to go round half the big chainring, half the big sprocket, and back and forth between the two. The only thing that changes is the half of the big sprocket it's in contact with.

davidphilips

Veteran
Apart from a longer chain you may need to fit a longer derailleur and depending on the bike frame you may need a derailleur extension, good fun.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Yes , I am aware of the search facility , but I do not always get the info I was looking for , so I just put a simple question on the forum,
@Threevok and @cyclops gave me all I needed to know , from there it's all sorted as for what do I mean regular or large , that was what the bike mech put to me in a shop, , now I know , so when I go back I now I can confidently ask for a chain for the length I require , and with a certain gizmo there is no need to buy another rear de'lr
I actually thought that was the idea of these forums , sort of to help , and personally , I have never seen a silly question on here , but I have read a lot of silly answers

Last edited:
Top Bottom