Chain link tool - pin diameter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For want of something better to do Ive just tidied out my tool box - apart from having an unhealthy number of wheel skewers I have 4 different chain tools - 5 if I count the one on the multitool in my day ride bag

The question is are chain pins all the same diameter for the different - 8spd, 9spd & 10spd chains and if they are different does anyone know what dia the chain tool pin should be for each type ? I'm pretty sure I bought one of the chain tools when I went up to 9sd - I'm contemplating 10spd - will I need yet another chain tool

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've always been of the belief that all chain pins are the same diameter. It's the pin length that differs between 8/9/10/11 chains

OP
OP
psmiffy
I've always been of the belief that all chain pins are the same diameter.

yup that has always been my belief - but having set eyes on my nice Tacx chain splitter that was discarded when I moved to 9spd because it wouldnt drive a pin out when I wanted to it created a bit of doubt in my mind.

It's the pin length that differs between 8/9/10/11 chains

yup - that is a given

I can find loadsa information on chain width but not pin diameter - having started this chain of thought I will have to get my micrometer out and see if I can pin it down

Levo-Lon

Guru
My chain tool works on my new 11s so id say yes..just the length changes..
11s length is around 4.5mm 10s is .4mm longer etc iirc

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For want of something better to do Ive just tidied out my tool box - apart from having an unhealthy number of wheel skewers I have 4 different chain tools - 5 if I count the one on the multitool in my day ride bag
Where on earth do these things come from? They must regularly clone themselves, every box I have with bike bits in has at least one lurking somewhere. I can never remember taking them off a wheel and discarding them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the road recently @Tim Hall used the chain tool in my multitool to drive out the rivets from a damaged 10 speed chain belonging to another cyclist, and install a replacement quick link. The tool itself was advertised as 8/9 speed compatible, but it worked OK on the victim's ... er ... on the gentleman's 10 speed chain.

Top Bottom