Chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stripes

I'm new to cycling and are trying to make sure I carry everything in my bag for emergencies.
Emergency chain links are mentioned a lot in posts but they also mention 8-9-10 gear links.
Not sure what mines is
What one should I get and how do I know what what mines is?
I'm getting lost

arch684

Veteran
Just count the sprockets on the rear wheel

si_c

Guru
I'm new to cycling and are trying to make sure I carry everything in my bag for emergencies.
Emergency chain links are mentioned a lot in posts but they also mention 8-9-10 gear links.
Not sure what mines is
What one should I get and how do I know what what mines is?
I'm getting lost
Quick links, or chain links, are useful when you snap a chain only. This is a rare occurence, and may never happen. If it does though you do need some way of repairing the chain so you can get home. The difference between the links is because as you increase the number of sprockets available on the back wheel, the chain needs to become narrower to run smoothly, so if you want to get a quick link, count the number of sprockets on the back as @arch684 said, and get the appropriate one.

I mentioned in another recent post that I don't carry a quick link with me. The reason for this is that if your chain breaks, its quite likely that you'll need a chain tool to remove a link to allow you to fit it. I just save myself the hassle, and carry the chain tool, this allows you to break the chain and rejoin it slightly shorter, meaning you can get home. It takes some practice, but it should be just as quick as using a link, and more reliable too.

Given that you should really carry a multitool, something like the Topeak Nexus (which I use) which has a chain tool built in, should be perfect for what you need. Just practice using it at home on a cheap chain, so you're not stuck at the side of the road.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Advice on learning how to join a chain is good advice - but......if the chain is a Shimano chain it cannot normally be joined in this way and needs either a quick link or a Shimano snappable pin to join it.

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Quick links, or chain links, are useful when you snap a chain only. This is a rare occurence, and may never happen. If it does though you do need some way of repairing the chain so you can get home. The difference between the links is because as you increase the number of sprockets available on the back wheel, the chain needs to become narrower to run smoothly, so if you want to get a quick link, count the number of sprockets on the back as @arch684 said, and get the appropriate one.

I mentioned in another recent post that I don't carry a quick link with me. The reason for this is that if your chain breaks, its quite likely that you'll need a chain tool to remove a link to allow you to fit it. I just save myself the hassle, and carry the chain tool, this allows you to break the chain and rejoin it slightly shorter, meaning you can get home. It takes some practice, but it should be just as quick as using a link, and more reliable too.

Given that you should really carry a multitool, something like the Topeak Nexus (which I use) which has a chain tool built in, should be perfect for what you need. Just practice using it at home on a cheap chain, so you're not stuck at the side of the road.
Thanks for that info
You have broke the information down brilliantly for me.
Thanks again

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Advice on learning how to join a chain is good advice - but......if the chain is a Shimano chain it cannot normally be joined in this way and needs either a quick link or a Shimano snappable pin to join it.
Thanks for that cycling friend
It is Shimano gears I have and will now look at a snappable pin
Thanks

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Just count the sprockets on the rear wheel
Thanks for letting me know
I'm getting there slowly but surely

boydj

Legendary Member
Thanks
Use a quick link, rather than the pin. I do this with new Shimano chains as well in order to have an easy way of breaking the chain if I'm working on the rear mech or want to deep clean the chain.

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Use a quick link, rather than the pin. I do this with new Shimano chains as well in order to have an easy way of breaking the chain if I'm working on the rear mech or want to deep clean the chain.
Great advice
It sounds the best way if going it
Thanks again

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Thanks
A quick link has the advantage of being easy to install and easy to dismantle (dismantling is easier if you have the correct pliers - but they're not essential)
If you want to use a Shimano pin you have to consider it as a permanent fix and you would need to carry a tool that would enable you to snap the pin once installed - so a quick link is definitely the better way to go.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't carry a quick link with me . . . carry the chain tool, this allows you to break the chain and rejoin it slightly shorter, meaning you can get home. It takes some practice, but it should be just as quick as using a link, and more reliable too.
I think you'll find that @si_c's view is a tiny minority one (but 'bravo' to his expertise). I assert that most people think pushing out the broken link with the chain tool they're carrying and fitting a quicklink is both easy and reliably quick, the chain remains the same length (so you can cycle home and get out the next day too), and trying to push the pin back through is fraught with difficulty and repeated quarter turns, both out and in. Finally, what evidence is there that a reused pin is "more reliable too" than a quicklink (eg the KMC one)?

Top Bottom