Chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

I think you'll find that @si_c's view is a tiny minority one (but 'bravo' to his expertise). I assert that most people think pushing out the broken link with the chain tool they're carrying and fitting a quicklink is both easy and reliably quick, the chain remains the same length (so you can cycle home and get out the next day too), and trying to push the pin back through is fraught with difficulty and repeated quarter turns, both out and in. Finally, what evidence is there that a reused pin is "more reliable too" than a quicklink (eg the KMC one)?
Thanks
Appreciated

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can usually spot Shimano chain by it having HG stamped on it (for Hyper Glide, or spaHGetti) and by it wearing out faster than any chain I've used ;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Finally, what evidence is there that a reused pin is "more reliable too" than a quicklink (eg the KMC one)?
A reused pin is usually less reliable.

Chainpins are peened (i.e. expanded to make them a tighter fit in the sideplate hole by bashing the pin end), and will damage the sideplate hole when driven out and back in.
Peening is required on 9/10/11 speed chains because the pin doesn't protrude far enough past the outer face of the sideplate, but these days many 7/8 speed chains are peened too. Reusing the pin on 7/8 is something that you'll generally get away with OK, provided that you are reasonably careful.

Top Bottom