Chain lube - aerosol or liquid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I bought some chain lube in an aerosol can (made by muck-off). It does the job, but every so often the end of the straw/tube that fixes to the nozzle of the cannister gets gummed up with congealed lube. Bit messy and spits the lube out instead of spraying it out.

Who buys the aerosol stuff and who buys the liquid-dropper ones?
Recommend me a lube while we're on the subject.

(can't help thinking of the 'Swedish aerosol joke' every time I write it...)

I use a liquid lube at the moment I'm using Finishline cross country and Finishline Pro Road. I'm not an expert on Lubes but I find them good.

Another vote for regular bottled lube.

We do use aerosol propelled lubricant delivery systems in the workshop very occasionally for getting into hard to get into places. The less crap you put into the air the less crap you are likely to breathe I reckon.

buddha

Veteran
I bought a can of spray lube once. Sprayed the chain, as per instructions. But didn't realise I'd also sprayed the rims and tyre of the rear wheel a bit. Que an embarrassing crash the first time I tried to scrub my speed:sad:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
buddha said:
I bought a can of spray lube once. Sprayed the chain, as per instructions. But didn't realise I'd also sprayed the rims and tyre of the rear wheel a bit. Cue an embarrassing crash the first time I tried to scrub my speed:sad:
It's spelt cue. I saw your other post about ramblers with the same wrong spelling, too.
It was just bugging me, mate. No offence. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I dribble Finsh Line lube onto the inside of the chain then wash it in with a burst of WD40, then run the chin through a rag to dry it. Even after a really wet muddy ride my MTB chain still gives off an oily slick when I wash the bike so it must be working.

Top Bottom