Chain lube (again, sorry!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
With summer coming should I be using a dry lube or a wet lube. My riding is 99.9% on road. I have always been content with plain oil, but it seems that no matter how little I put on, or how thoroughly I wipe the chain after oiling, it is always too much going by the splatter and the build up of crap around the gear jockey wheels. I am gradually being dragged screaming and kicking into the 20th century.:surrender:

ushills

Veteran
I now use dry winter and summer as it prevents the crap build up on my road bike.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Finish Line dry teflon or Dry Ceramic Wax, both great with no build up of shite. Check prices on the ceramic before you buy, you may have to sell some of your family to buy it.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I think if I can be bothered to do some bike maintenance today, I will put the wet lube away and move over to Finishline Dry Teflon, my jockey wheels are caked in black goo after the last ride.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I ended up with wax/oil dry lube. I can't make out if this is wax and oil or if they are calling the wax mixture oil! I looked at the ceramic and it would be cheaper to buy a couple of cheap chains! Beyond my budget.

Now we have chains that are removable in seconds and fast and easy to refit using snap links we need something like we used to have for motorcyle chains. A round tin of grease that went on the gas and the chain was immersed in it. Once removed and dried the chain was beautifully lubed and clean.

Jdratcliffe

Winter ( from kinda oct/nov) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-cross-country-wet-lubricant-120ml-bottle/

when the spring comes and the sun is out ( prob as of my next weekly deep clean this weekend)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-dry-teflon-lubricant-120ml-bottle/

easy peease the winter bottle has done 2 years ( this last winter gone and prev) possible has one more in it, and this would be the dry lubes 2nd summer

Top Bottom