chain LUBE -- are we being conned with technology..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went from Hypoid 90 to chainsaw oil, (the 90 reeks) and the secret is little 'n' often then wipe off known on here as 'mickle'.:biggrin:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I use a chain cleaner with the 3 brushes in it with WD40 in it to clean the chain, wipe the excess off and use a ptfe lube. I find that just using the WD40 as a lube the chain stays cleaner for longer, But I find TF2 and PTFE lubes attracts dirt like flies around sh!t

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
We get the smart automotive van come to our workplace and I do the bulk ordering. I get all of my cleaning and maintenance sprays in 5L bottles.

G101 for cleaning, platinum to polish, TFR for degreasing and mechoil to lubricate. Because of how much of the stuff we use at work I get to disguise my order and don't pay a penny

If I didn't get these then GT85 does the job for my friends with motorbikes

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Weren't chains much tougher in the 60s? They didn't need to be as narrow and delicate as today's 10 and 11 speed chains - after all the most they had to deal with was 5 cogs at the back and a double at the front. I use Progold ProLink, and get very good mileage.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chain lube is so cheap. IIRC I go through a 250ml bottle a year, c. 7000 miles.

Not worth worrying about.

Exactly. I use the small dropper bottles. Last me ages for about £6. Last set I got for a pound each, three bottles of Finish Line Oil on offer. It's not a cost I worry about. The wet lube is good for commuting as it survives wet rides.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I prefer to use bicycle-specific chain oils, but I do wish they came in larger bottles: these ridiculously small bottles just make the oil more expensive overall.

If I were to break down the cost of a £7 bottle of lube into a yearly cost, then it would work out to be something like £1.30p a year, which is assuming I run out of chain lube every 5 years, so far I've got half a bottle of Finish line green (wet oil) which I purchased in 2010, and I haven't been skimping on the maintenance.

Road_Runner

Regular
I don't know how people dare to use the spray stuff. It's asking for a braking disaster in my opinion.

I use a 3-in-1 oil for my chain but actually wonder if there is something out there that looks cleaner. My chain always looks dirty and uncared for because of it's colour.

What fluid do people use to degrease the drive chain to make it look all shiny and new again? Also what cleaning implements do people use? I tend to use a rag and a tooth brush with WD40 but also wonder if there is something better out there?

In my opinion, most products sold by big companies don't do exactly what they try to make you believe. There might be the tiniest bit of evidence of what they claim but then they exaggerate the claims.

Erudin

Veteran
I got a 5L container of citrus-based degreaser for bike cleaning duties, use it well diluted in an old Muc-Off spraybottle. I use either the Mickle chain cleaning method or the MickF chain cleaning regime depending on how filthy the drivetrain is. For chain lube I use Progold Prolink for 3 seasons, and Finish Line Wet in the winter. Favourite chain is the brass-coated Wippermann Connex 9SG.

drivetrain.jpg

Last edited:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
@Road_Runner I use a chain cleaning bath, Fluids I use in it are brake cleaner, if the chain is really grubby brake cleaner cleans it in seconds it is excellent stuff, I also use the chain bath to clean and lube the chain with WD40 in it, then use your wet lube after. I clean my chains/cassette pretty much after every ride
chain cleaner bath.jpg

Reactions: _aD

Brandane

Legendary Member
What fluid do people use to degrease the drive chain to make it look all shiny and new again? Also what cleaning implements do people use?
Diesel in a chain bath like that in the post above does the job for me. A whole lot cheaper than the dedicated degreasers on sale. Perhaps not suitable for those with environmental concerns.

GrasB

Veteran
I've been all around the houses with chain lube & I've found that a high end ceramic dry lube makes for the longest chain life while maintaining the efficiency of a new chain. The amount of lube you need is minimal when applied properly. I go through 2 120ml bottles/year, this is for recumbents which are about 250-280 links.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
so....why not use the cheapest lube possible -- SAE90 gear oil from my shed
and buy a new KMC Z7 chain for £10 or less each Spring..?

edit.........125ml of the Dry was £5.95

Exactly. Lube frequently and use the Mickle method. New chain every year will help increase chainring and sprocket use (assuming that 12 months is a suitable chain life for your mileage).

Top Bottom