Chain lube recommendations - yes I know!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Finish Line Green. Shock horror.....I de-grease it in an ultrasonic bath with Jizer too.
But I re-grease it when it's sparkling clean, de-greaser-free and dry with FLG.

Whatever your chosen lube, using a spray to apply it to the chain is the last thing you want to do. Expensive and messy.

I do have the original 3 in 1 oil as well @DaveReading .
Although I do use the spray on the chain mostly.It gives it a nice coating.
No problems so far,but what do you think the disadvantages are using it ?
Too thin perhaps ?
I have tried the Finish Line products and didn't see benefits of them.
Personally speaking of course.

ayceejay

Guru
What you do is remove the chain from your bike, there is a Park Tools sledge and crowbar especially for this, you will notice that there are some roller things linked together with some flat bits. You don't have to bother with the flat bits but if you use your Park Tools tool kit expertly you should be able to dismantle the roller parts from the flat buts and set them out on your bench. Once you have them all set out with the bit that rolls on one side and the bit that it rolls into on the other side apply Vaseline to all parts and put it back together.
This is the method my Uncle in Broad moor used for years but I never tried it myself, let me know how you get on.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Chainsaw oil for me too. Always got it in the shed and it does the job just fine. I keep topping up an old lube bottle with the stuff but I have to warm it up first in some boiling water to make it runny otherwise it's messy as f*** when applying it. Then wipe, wipe, wipe then wipe some more

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What you do is remove the chain from your bike, there is a Park Tools sledge and crowbar especially for this, you will notice that there are some roller things linked together with some flat bits. You don't have to bother with the flat bits but if you use your Park Tools tool kit expertly you should be able to dismantle the roller parts from the flat buts and set them out on your bench. Once you have them all set out with the bit that rolls on one side and the bit that it rolls into on the other side apply Vaseline to all parts and put it back together.
This is the method my Uncle in Broad moor used for years but I never tried it myself, let me know how you get on.
Sheldon shows you how in detail.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean/index.html

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions, Prolink and White Lightning both sound like they might be what I'm after.

Prolink works for me (the small bottle!)
@jay clock - do you know if these are all the same substance in different containers, or slightly different products in some way? Do you tend to fully degrease and re-apply or wipe and re-apply?

From the blurb and the reviews this sounds just like what I'm after. Do you know roughly how many miles you tend to go before needing to re-apply? And do you always degrease before re-applying or go for more of a Mickle approach with this? Cheers.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Hi, No I dont really keep track of how many miles etc, I dont always degrease before re applying as with this you dont have to. I do degrease the chain and gears every few weeks or so though because I just personally think its good for anything to have a wash down every so often.
I've used the wet and dry lube before and the general fenwicks one(the pink) and I think this one is the best. I was recommended it by a shop when looking. For £8.99 I'd give it a try if I were you.

I've ordered some this morning. Feeling pretty ropey today so might not be out on the bike for a few days but I'll look forward to giving it a whirl. Thanks for the recommendation.

si_c

Guru
Been using a Finish Line green, works for me. Current chain is at just under 2000 miles of winter riding (put on in october last year) and not indicating any wear yet. But then I wouldn't really expect any different from any lube to be honest.

jay clock

Massive member
@jay clock - do you know if these are all the same substance in different containers, or slightly different products in some way? Do you tend to fully degrease and re-apply or wipe and re-apply?.

they look like the same stuff in different bottles. My process is to use muc off liberally with a washing up brush then i rinse, dry roughly, then apply the oil. The dry gain with clean rags until not much muck comes off (aka the Mickle method)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Although I do use the spray on the chain mostly. It gives it a nice coating.

No problems so far,but what do you think the disadvantages are using it ?

A "nice coating" from a spray might let you leave your bike out in the rain without the chain rusting, but it isn't actually providing any lubrication unless you get the lube inside the rollers. The excess just provides somewhere for muck to stick to.

Using a syringe or, in my case, one of those thingys left over from the days when I used to refill inkjet cartridges is much cleaner and less wasteful.

Top Bottom