Chain lube recommendations - yes I know!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I feel bad for even asking this, as I know it's been done to death on here and everyone has different favourites, but now that my Muc-Off Ceramic Dry is coming to an end I'm reluctant to go for more of the same - it seems to dry out far too quickly, my last chain only managed 2,500 miles, and the chain never really feels as well-lubed as when using oil.

On the other hand, when using this on my wet-weather bike I find it turns the drive train black in no time and is a devil to clean off when degreasing and creates mess everywhere:
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360035455/Green-Oil-chain-lube-100ml.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

So I'm trying to work out what is best to use on my road bike. It only gets used in the dry so I don't need anything too water-proof - in fact I'm after something that washes out fairly easily to make for a less arduous degreasing job as this is something I like to do regularly. But I'm after something that gives good lubrication, good chain life, doesn't make everything black and gunky and is ideally environmentally-friendly.

Is there anything out there that ticks these boxes? Maybe a lighter wet lube/oil or an aerosol lube? Have read good things about Fenwicks Stealth - anyone using that?

Cheers,

Andy

jay clock

Massive member
Prolink works for me (the small bottle!)
PROGLUBE200_1_ZOOM.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
2500 miles out of a chain...I wish ^_^
1200 miles generally for me, 10 speed, however much I oil them, whatever I oil them with.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
to be honest I just use car engine oil - mainly because I've got a gallon of the stuff in the wrong grade for my current car. I use the famous Mickle method - albeit rather casually rather than thoroughly ie wipe the chain with a rag, then oil, then wipe a bit more. Not really till it's clean but at least till it's nicely oily but not dripping. Thus I only clean the chain with fresh oil as I'm dubious that degreasing is at all a good idea.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Engine oil on mine..then wipe it clean..so its not dripping..
all these fancy oils for a chain that wears out regardless..2 chains a year for me..i like new chains..

Prolink here as well, I used to be always cleaning the oil from the rear wheel and spokes, since using this stuff I hadn't had to do that at all. I wipe the outside of the chain after each ride, and apply one drop of oil to each link every couple of weeks, weather depending of course.

Top Bottom