Chain lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Just got a new bike and advised won`t need to lube the chain for a while as it comes "waxed". Chain is very, very clean ( obviously ) and of course runs smooth and sweet. What would it be lubricated with ? Would like to use whatever keeps things clean AND running smoothly. Any advice ?

Radius

SHREDDER
Clue is in the "waxed" bit of your post :wacko:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
After the wax has gone, Finish Line oil is the best. I use Finish Line Wet.
Have a search for the Mickle Method of lookign after your chain. This is what i use. The 'wax' thats on the chain should last a while, depending on the weather and if you ride it alot in the wet.
I normally end up just wiping it off after a coupel of rides and using Finish Line Wet on it. And it runs smooth.

Radius

SHREDDER
I use Finish Line Pro Road, may be overkill but my bikes sound lovely, as in you can't hear them at all.

col

Legendary Member
I was talking to a semi pro cyclist who advised to just clean the chaine then gt 85 it, which would be fine, Im not sure as Iv been used to using oil on them for years, whats the opinions here about the gt85 ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GT85 is very light lube - pro's get their chain changed very often though !

I use Finish Line, White Lightning Wet Ride and the White Lightning Clean Ride - the clean ride is a dry wax, and works pretty well, but the stuff is very watery to apply.

The non-sticky Wet Rides are very good if used sparingly - i.e just a drop on the rollers, then spin, leave to dry and then wipe.

Mr Pig

I take the chain off the bike to clean it, as you can wash everything out of it, then Finish Line Cross Country. I've tried wax-types but never got on with them, I think wet lubes work much better.

02GF74

Über Member
I use motorcycle chain wax;
the reasoning is that is dried out so as not to turn into gringing paste when mixed with grit and fine dust.

any oil is better than no oil to stop the squeaks but too much is not good either as mentioned above.

jayce

I use finish i think most on here use it ,clean chain with baby wipes then squirt on, up and down the cogs then wipe off excess

col

Legendary Member
jayce said:
I use finish i think most on here use it ,clean chain with baby wipes then squirt on, up and down the cogs then wipe off excess

Finish? as in the carpet cleaner?

Top Bottom