Chain Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
For years now i have been degreasing my chain and then spraying it with GT85 to lube it, whilst buying a new can today the lbs chap said its not for lubing chains, more for getting the moisture off after degreasing and before using a dedicated chain lube.
Is the GT85 doing any good or harm or nothing

Awahwah

I'd use addition lube, but I know plenty who only use GT85.

It could be worse, like a Water Dispersant like WD40 :rolleyes: On my first bike as a teenager, I used it :blush: and the chain snapped very prematurely (I'm not sure of the exact mileage but it wouldn't have been much. On returning to cycling in my late 20s I used a spray lube from a lbs (probably something like GT85), it didn't seem to do any harm when I lived in Dublin but when I moved to Scotland and started to up the mileage it didn't last long before the chain snapped. I seem to do better out of proper lube. So at a stab in the dark based on my experience, I'd say that the GT85 isn't as good as a proper lube but its probably not that bad.

Brommyboy

Über Member
For years now I have used sewing machine oil which gives me a much longer chain life than any synthetic product!

Top Bottom