chain lubrication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

I bought a chain cleaning machine from Lidl a few years back and it's crap if used with the chain on the bike as per the instructions, but...
...with the chain off the bike, and looped through the device it's actually does a cracking job when used with some decent cleaner (citrus degreaser is my product of choice).

However the above gets used quite frequently on my MTB but less so on my road bike as gritty crud and an oil make a very effective grinding paste.

For quick fettle, I use a modified lube and wipe method - firstly wipe with a GT85 soaked rag, then lube and wipe

Salis

Regular
I'll just say that if you do want to quickly clean and degrease your chain (and I know there are arguments that you shouldn't need to do this! I'm just saying, if you DO want to...) then the Muc-Off Chain Doc is superb for this.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Remove the chain and lie it flat in an old baking tray then scrub it with an old paintbrush and white spirit or paraffin or turps subs. Pour the dirty cleaner into a jam jar and leave it to settle for reuse next time. Keep changing the liquid until all traces of old lube and grit are washed out. Dry overnight and relube lightly. For interim maintenance use the Mickle method.
All of the above but with a slight amendment. After the thorough rinsing with degreasing agent of choice I drip dry it for a bit then wipe and then apply gentle heat from a blow torch to evaporate all degreaser. Then when dry but still warm/hot I lube with chosen oil. The heat temporarily thins the oil and draws it into the internal parts of the chain. Then as it cools the oil thickens again and is in the deepest recesses. I then wipe off all excess and wipe again for good measure.
I would stress that the chain should not be roasting hot when the oil is applied (or at any point really) certainly it should not smoke as this is destroying the goodness. Quite warm is the key. Still touchable certainly.
Then I pass a crystal over the chain to properly align the energies in the metal so that it makes friends with the oil. Some light chanting does no harm either I find. It makes the difference between a smooth ride and a serene ride.

deadpool7

Thanks for the link to the Mickle Method. I tried it on my road bike for the first time and was amazed at the amount of crud that came off the chain. Sheesh!

deadpool7

Mickle,Mickle,Mickle, nuff said !!

Wipe - lube - wipe - wipe - wipe - ride - wipe. Then wipe some more, lol.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rumour has it that they're doing lubricants now!

No rumour.
hero_clean.png

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom