Chain maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Cycle chains are not 'O' ring sealed. They are open design. Removing the lubricant from inside is no big deal and easily replaced by dropping chain in oil or oiling each individual link.

I use an ultrasound bath with Gunk degreaser, it amazing how much grit and paste comes out of the chain. I then flush the chain in hot water again ultrasound. Finally just drop the chain in heavy oil, drip dry of excess oil.

15 mins to do the whole job

This results in a new looking chain with ultra quiet performance..

Crankarm

Guru
There are plenty of people doing big miles in all weathers, doing minimal maintenance and getting good service from these TERRIBLE derailleur transmissions.

There are lots of good reasons why belt drives and hub gears etc are a rare sight.

This won't change any time soon imho.

Care to enlighten us as to what these good reasons are?

Muc off has organic solvents such as butane which dissolve and remove grease and oil. They may remove oil from inside your links. Oil can become impregnated into the surface of a metal, which is a good thing. Removing it is generally a bad thing. You need to put it back with a suitable liquid lube.

I used to put chains in a jam jar of solvent for a few weeks which is harsh, but I would lube and leave them until required. Running 2 chains can separate the issue of fitting a clean chain from cleaning the dirty one.

faster

Über Member
Care to enlighten us as to what these good reasons are?

No, not really. The cynic in me thinks you probably know them anyway, and if not, just google them.

I quite like hub gears and belt drives and wouldn't mind owning a bike with them, but they are very much a niche item and we're nowhere near the point that they can compete with a TERRIBLE derailleur transmission for most people's use.

One such niche where hub gears and belt drives are perfect are for those labouring under the misapprehension that 'there is no point lubing a dirty chain'. Especially when cleaning said chain involves donning the nitrile gloves and mask (!), firing up the oven and making a long drawn out saga out of something which can be satisfactorily accomplished by most in a couple of minutes with a rag and some oil.

I can assure you, if I was hampered by such misconceptions, I'd have long since sold all my TERRIBLE derailleur transmission bikes and bought ones with hub gears and belts, or more likely given the relatively high up front cost, just given up cycling.

You'd do well to remember that this is a beginners forum, and pedalling such mistruths as in your earlier post is not helpful to our sport - it's a really good way to put beginners off cycling and I actually know people who have fallen for these pointless maintenance regimes and given up, as they are too time consuming. With a little understanding and pragmatism, a derailleur equipped bike requires very little maintenance.

Seriously though, hub gears and belt drives sound perfect for your use and that's great. Most of the rest of us will continue to enjoy the benefits of lighter, cheaper, more efficient and still low maintenance derailleur equipped bikes.

Out of interest, why do you think they are a rare sight?

P.S. Do you really own special pliers for installing quick links? These are definitely not a minimum requirement. I, and I think most people just loosely assemble them on the upper run of chain then push down a bit on the pedals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom