Chain needs replacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Bought a park tools chain gauge and my chain should have been replaced long ago
I have been getting bad shifting
It is well beyonf 1% wear.
I assume I will have to reckon on cassette too
Cannot see wear on cassette or on Chainwheels
I am going to order a replacement shimano chain and cassette from Wiggle
Any advice/comments

In the old days I can never remember replacing a chain.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
old chains are much more hard wearing than modern 10-11 speed chains which have thinner plates on the sides. If you can't see any wear on the cassette, why bother buying a new one?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have always assumed that if the chain wear is more than 0.5% you should replace it. If it's above 0.75% you should replace both the chain and the cassette. I'm not sure why, I just read it somewhere.

andyfraser

Über Member
That's my understanding too. For £20 - £30 for both a cassette and a chain a couple of times a year, if that, it's worth doing both.

potsy

Rambler
I have always assumed that if the chain wear is more than 0.5% you should replace it. If it's above 0.75% you should replace both the chain and the cassette. I'm not sure why, I just read it somewhere.
I think up to 0.75 you can get away with just a new chain, over that then it's new cassette too?

The op will know as soon as he replaces the chain and goes for a quick test ride as that kind of wear will almost certainly mean it will be slipping quite badly on the old cassette.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Well it seems to make sense to me to get cassette too.
I will order a chain, cassette and one of those quicklinks
Wiggle have some Shimano chains and cassettes at a good discoutn so will go for thise

BigCoops

You won't necessarily see wear on the cassette, but once you put a new chain on it'll be readily apparent because it'll slip about like a greased octopus on a laminate floor.

Chain and cassette would be the best bet, now you've got the gauge, look to change your chain at around .5 wear, you'll get probably 2 - 3 chains per cassette change then.

sgl5gjr

much depends on how you clean and lube the chain too.....as to if the cassette needs to be swapped out....

I find in general.that a regularly cleaned and lubed chain, swapped out at or just before .75 will make 3 chains per cassette..... beyond that and with poor clean/lube routine.... swap them both out....

wisdom

Guru
You
cessarily see wear on the cassette, but once you put a new chain on it'll be readily apparent because it'll slip about like a greased octopus on a laminate floor.

Chain and cassette would be the best bet, now you've got the gauge, look to change your chain at around .5 wear, you'll get probably 2 - 3 chains per cassette change then.
Like the octopus bit set me off laughing.No one else in the room understood It though:laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
There is a general feeling that chain wear indicators actually give an exaggerated indication of the wear. Usually youd measure pin to pin, with a wear indicator you're measuring roller to roller..which has been affected not only by pin wear but roller wear as well.. The good thing is if thats true the wear is not as bad as you'd think.
The thin side plates on 10 and 11 speed chains actually have little or no play in the life of a chain, chains wear quicker because the pins are shorter...so all the force being put through it is being concentrated in a smaller area, so it will wear quicker.

I'd change the chain, see how it feels. You'll soon know if the cassettes worn.

Top Bottom