chain on Nearly New bike Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cutler26

Recently my Chain on my Merida One Forty 7 500 has been Slipping badly when applying pressure in the 4th highest gears. This started with occasional Slipping where the chain would land on the axle even if I was 4 gears up, and slowly got worse. I have reset all cables to count for cable stretch and the derailleur is indexing fine. I have previously had the missing link split and disappear so I shortened the chain and at the time there was no difference In terms of Slipping. As the bike has only done a few hundred miles I'm doubtful that there is and Wear on the chain or cassette. Is the anybody who is aware of what might be going on, I'll gladly appreciate any help given.

Onyer

Is it slipping on the chainset? I had a problem on a Rotor chainset where the chain would sit on top of the smaller chainset when changing down. I would just spin without going anywhere. Problem was solved by changing the chainset to a Shimano. Mine was a brand new bike out of the box. Fortunately the LBS replicated the fault and made the change free of charge.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Yes it's Slipping over the cassette, it's a shimano cassette. It has worked for over 200 miles and then started to slip, and I have adjusted my cables to count for the stretch.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It will almost certainly something you've done with the chain, there is no other reason for that to suddenly happen on a new bike. Maybe you have a stiff link?

It is not a great idea to shorten the chain assuming it was set to the correct length when new.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

It will almost certainly something you've done with the chain, there is no other reason for that to suddenly happen on a new bike. Maybe you have a stiff link?

It is not a great idea to shorten the chain assuming it was set to the correct length when new.
I've checked all the links there all free, after shortening the chain the bike rode fine for about 50 miles

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Tje
Confirm it's slipping ie dropping down the cassette to a smaller sprocket as opposed to skating - chain disengaging with the sprocket it's on, but it then stays on that sprocket. I would have thought the jockey wheel would stop it dropping 4 sprockets down, but clearly not your experience.
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...oduct/review-merida-one-forty-7-500-15-49342/
When I apply pressure there's a bang and the chain used to jump off the end of the cassette but after i reset the gears the chain skips over

Does it only do this under pressure i.e. going through the gears off the bike works fine, no noises or chain jitter. If so, I'm wondering if it's your freehub, which would be a warranty issue.

Other obvious things to check are hangar alignment and daft stuff like the wheel being properly in the droputs.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Does it only do this under pressure i.e. going through the gears off the bike works fine, no noises or chain jitter. If so, I'm wondering if it's your freehub, which would be a warranty issue.

Other obvious things to check are hangar alignment and daft stuff like the wheel being properly in the droputs.
The freehub is stiff at times but theres no play, when I go through the gears off the bike there no jitter but there are some noises

Top Bottom