1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain pitch

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by feckless, 29 Oct 2007.

1. feckless

feckless Über Member

I'm vaguely aware that there's more thn one chain pitch in use, but which should I use on my bastard falcon fixie?

Cranks and chainwheel come courtesy of Campag (Veloce 10 speed), at the rear will be some variety of track sprocket.

Is there any chain I can ask for that will mate with both, or should I think about new chainwheels at the front?

f

2. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

You shouldn't have to change your chainwheel, but if you are using a track cog you will need to ask for an 1/8th grade chain. "Normal" derailleur chainsets use a 1/32 which won't fit over a track sprocket.

3. i.e. a single speed chain (1/8th) just in case you get a 16 year old kid in the shop

4. OP
    OP
    feckless

feckless Über Member

Cool, thanks chaps.

That should save me some unnecessary swearing.

f

5. davidad

davidad New Member

Don't confuse chain width with chain pitch. Pitch is the distance between the rivets while 1/8" and 3/32" refer to the width of the chain. Both 1/8" and 3/32" are 1/2" pitch. You can use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets but not vice versa.