Chain pitch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm vaguely aware that there's more thn one chain pitch in use, but which should I use on my bastard falcon fixie?

Cranks and chainwheel come courtesy of Campag (Veloce 10 speed), at the rear will be some variety of track sprocket.

Is there any chain I can ask for that will mate with both, or should I think about new chainwheels at the front?

f

You shouldn't have to change your chainwheel, but if you are using a track cog you will need to ask for an 1/8th grade chain. "Normal" derailleur chainsets use a 1/32 which won't fit over a track sprocket.

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
You shouldn't have to change your chainwheel, but if you are using a track cog you will need to ask for an 1/8th grade chain. "Normal" derailleur chainsets use a 1/32 which won't fit over a track sprocket.

i.e. a single speed chain (1/8th) just in case you get a 16 year old kid in the shop

davidad

Don't confuse chain width with chain pitch. Pitch is the distance between the rivets while 1/8" and 3/32" refer to the width of the chain. Both 1/8" and 3/32" are 1/2" pitch. You can use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets but not vice versa.

Top Bottom