Chain pulling off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Just out of interest, why are you using 50/11 at slow speeds?
I was going through high gear starts. Probably not a good idea, but it seems to help with mountain biking.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Just one more pic of the chain ring. It does have signs of wear.

Attachments

• IMG_20170816_094314.jpg
    IMG_20170816_094314.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 44

Alan O

Über Member
Ok, thanks, I'm going to order new 50t. Cheers.
Looking a bit closer, the most badly worn teeth appear to be around 3-4 o'clock in that photo, and they'd be the ones around the top and pulling the chain when you're putting the most pressure on the RH crank downstroke.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Looking a bit closer, the most badly worn teeth appear to be around 3-4 o'clock in that photo, and they'd be the ones around the top and pulling the chain when you're putting the most pressure on the RH crank downstroke.
Ok thanks, would you still agree that this is worth replacing?

Alan O

Über Member
Ok thanks, would you still agree that this is worth replacing?
I might be tempted to try remounting the 50t at a different rotation to get different teeth to engage at the maximum power part of the stroke, but only really to check if that makes a difference and try to confirm it's just wear. But I really do think it needs replacing - especially comparing the wear to the 34t. (But don't just go on my suggestion - there are far more experienced folk here than me, so maybe wait and see what other opinions you get?)

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I might be tempted to try remounting the 50t at a different rotation to get different teeth to engage at the maximum power part of the stroke, but only really to check if that makes a difference and try to confirm it's just wear. But I really do think it needs replacing - especially comparing the wear to the 34t. (But don't just go on my suggestion - there are far more experienced folk here than me, so maybe wait and see what other opinions you get?)
Thanks Alan, this post has beem around and this is still an issue. I've just order the chainring, it was fairly cheap. It will be here in a few days so I will you know how it goes. I had someone from the bike club look at the position of the BB and crank, and he said it looked ok.

Alan O

Über Member
Thanks Alan, this post has beem around and this is still an issue. I've just order the chainring, it was fairly cheap. It will be here in a few days so I will you know how it goes. I had someone from the bike club look at the position of the BB and crank, and he said it looked ok.
Do let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Ok, so last night I found I was having the same problem again. The chain is being derailed of the front chainring. All I can put it down to is that the front chainring is sitting slightly into the BB more since I replaced the BB. Is there a spacer that I can use to move the this to the right, even for 1-2mm?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When the chain is pulled off, is there any sound of rubbing beforehand, as in the derailleur pulling it off? Also, you still have not posted photos that might show if your bottom bracket is fitted correctly.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Nope, no rubbing. There is space between the derailleur and chain. This only started when the BB was replaced (by me). When I fitted the bearings, I pressed it in up to the internal C clip within the BB frame, before I noticed that the old bearings was never fitted this close, this is an obvious difference. But I thought that the point of the internal C clips was that you pressed the bearing to that?

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_072551.jpg
    IMG_20170824_072551.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Top Bottom