Chain question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

I have a chain on my bike that I got from Walmart. It ''had'' quick links but I lost them and converted the chain into a quick link (less) chain which means I have to drive the pin halfway out of one of the links to get it apart. I have a new project for my Fuji S12-S LTD bike. I'm planning on putting on my second ''new'' SunTour VX'' rear derailleur and my question is if I were to put my chain back together, do I set the two rivets together, then drive the pin all the way back in the middle? Thanks! I know how to set up cable to derailleur, but I'm not so used to putting chains back together. I'd be glad for help and tips. Thanks again!

Yes. If you're driving the pin out with a decent chain tool, then you can certainly drive it back in again - just be sure to check the chain flexes freely once it's back together.

There's probably an argument for just buying a pack of spare quick links (they're not expensive) but for years I've done it the way you suggest when a quick link hasn't been available and so far without issue.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Yes. If you're driving the pin out with a decent chain tool, then you can certainly drive it back in again - just be sure to check the chain flexes freely once it's back together.

There's probably an argument for just buying a pack of spare quick links (they're not expensive) but for years I've done it the way you suggest when a quick link hasn't been available and so far without issue.
Thanks, I appreciate the response.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Some people say it's impossible to get pin back in rivets if drawn all the way out.

mangid

Guru

Doesn't it depend on the chain type ? I don't think you can drive the pins back in on a Dura-Ace 11spd for example.

+1 for the quick links, but even those sometimes come with caveats about being used only once.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But if you were changing from one Suntour VX to another, would it be necessary?

mangid

Guru
Never come across a single use quick link... defeats the object doesn't it?

Yep, surprised me when I came across it:

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/powerlock-chain-connector-11-speed

PowerLock®

SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock® as a tool free, sure, and consistent way to connect our chains. While PowerLock® does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10-, 11- and 12-speed drivetrains mandate that each PowerLock® is good for a one-time application only.

Top Bottom