Chain Reaction Cycles - Not Impressed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
I've only used them a couple of times with no problems at all.

Just ordered a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero's from them so let's see how it pans out :ohmy: :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have never had a problem with delivery or contact. The one time I had a faulty tyre I had a replacement sent to me within 48 hours of contact.

bauldbairn

I' ve used "Chain Reaction" for tyres(Michelin City-Protek plus, 26" X 1.85) and various other bits n bobs several times - had no problems whatsoever. Always e-mail if I have any enquiries and always get a speedy reply(hope I haven't spoken too soon).
I started using them because they had faster delivery than the Edinburgh Bike Coop - where I normally shop.

on the road

Über Member
You don't need to phone them first before sending them an item back. Just send it back and explain what the problem with it is. There's usually a returns form that comes with the part.

on the road

Über Member
By the way, I've never had a problem with them. Had a faulty chain from them and sent it back without phoning them or emailing them and got a refund straight away.

I have placed two orders with them and they've both been wrong.

Easy to sort out, and because I complained the second time (nicely!) I ended up getting four free tyres as well as the ones I'd ordered.

I don't think they'll be around for much longer, no business that messes up like that can stay on top.

kyuss

Veteran
chris667 said:
I don't think they'll be around for much longer, no business that messes up like that can stay on top.

I think they'll be around for years to come. Your experience is very much in the minority. The good reviews far outweigh the bad and every company makes mistakes now and then.

FWIW I've been using them for years and never had a problem with an order. Cheap stuff delivered in good time, and when I had a frame to send back under warranty it was replaced within a week. They're one of my prefered online bike shops.

bonj2

Bugner said:
Anybody ever managed to get through to them on the phone?? I was sent the wrong item. Whenever I ring the phone (for the last 2 days and this morning) it is either engaged or there is a pre-recorded message to say to try again. They haven't responded to my e-mail either. All I want to do is return the wrong item and get the right one.

They may advertise as the World Biggest Cycle shop, shame they haven't got the world's biggest call centre to take my call ;)

just send it back, with a note in there asking for a refund (or download and print off their returns slip). Then just order the new product. no phone call needd.

longers

Legendary Member
I sent back a pair of faulty 3/4's to them, they sent them back to the manufacturer.
The manufacturer sent me a new pair and CRC sent me vouchers for the full value of the 3/4's. Result!

Jonathan M

chris667 said:

There is a customer service adage, and this says that if a person receives good service they tell maybe two people. If they perceive that they receive poor service, they tell around 10 people, even though the numbers of people receiving poor service will be in a small minority.

CRC has been around for a good while. I've used them regularly over many years and have found the prices good, delivery times good, and on the odd occasion that I have had to send something back they have dealt with it effectively. I can't see CRC having a significant enough customer service issue to endanger the business, lets face it Dave Hinde Cycles has had an awful name for years but is still going, perhaps because when the prices are right, people will still order regardless of reputation.

I fully accept that this doesn't mean they are problem free, but then I'm one of these lucky people who has not had any probelms ordering with the on-line shops that are often perceived to have problems: Ribble & Wiggle. So I guess that until I experience significant problems with one of these retailers I'll continue to use them. I'll add the caveat that the biggest & costliest item that I've ordered has been the winter bike frame & forks, plus wheels from Ribble, so we are not talking small items, I've been prepared to spend significant amounts with them through their mail order service.

Beaker39

My only experience was pretty rubbish. Ordered some gloves that were in stock only for the order to stay in processing for 3 days. Emailed them what was going on and a day later they said they have had a stock issue. Fair enough I thought and asked for a different more expensive pair which I didn't ming paying the extra for but they never processed the new order. Emailed again but nothing much happened so told them not to bother and got a refund. 2 weeks wasted!

Although Wiggle are really good. Even when some shorts had a small hole after using once I sent them back and had a replacement withion 2 days and they credited me the postage! Quite impressed, which makes a change :biggrin:

BigSteev

I had a slight problem with my last order (stuff sack for overtrousers was unstitched on one seam). Took a couple of goes to get through but they then called their suppliers and called me back to say they'd be sending me a replacement.
Seemed like pretty fine service to me.

bonj2

One thing not to order from unless you can possibly help it - SBR Sports/bonthrone bikes.
I ordered some seals on Sun 23rd August, FINALLY got them on tuesday. Over two weeks.

Top Bottom