Chain removal/cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi, just fitted a quick link on my boardman cx comp. how often would you guys recommend removing the chain and thoroughly cleaning? I cycle on average 20-30miles a week on reasonably decent roads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Monthly, depending on how well you clean it 'normally'.
Edit (16 Jun): Delete 'monthly' and insert 'annually'.

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
It is not distance related. You can soil a chain with one shorty dusty or muddy ride or you can keep it clean by cycling 600km on clean moist roads.

Clean it when it is dirty. Oil it when it is dry. Ride bike, drink beer and take photos.
I think drink beer, ride and take photo's would be more entertaining :evil: Only on private property of course with all the requisite safety equipment.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi, just fitted a quick link on my boardman cx comp. how often would you guys recommend removing the chain and thoroughly cleaning? I cycle on average 20-30miles a week on reasonably decent roads.

I'm riding around a hundred miles most weeks split between two bikes, I only remove the chains when I need to replace them, usually annually.

OP
OP
J

John342

Cheers guys I think the ride/drink beer take photos sounds like a great idea.
Also just out of interest how often would you remove rear cassette completely and clean each individual ring? Or can a thorough job be achieved whilst it's still in place?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Cheers guys I think the ride/drink beer take photos sounds like a great idea.
Also just out of interest how often would you remove rear cassette completely and clean each individual ring? Or can a thorough job be achieved whilst it's still in place?

You can do a pretty good job of cleaning the cassette while still on the bike by using a cloth wrapped around a CD.

A Dire Straits one works best. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:wacko:

The chain only comes off for replacement or if needed for other repairs. The cassette gets a scrape out between the sprockets with a thin screwdriver occasionally between replacement but not always. The chains normally last me approx. 1500 miles and the cassettes see 2, or if I am lucky, 3 chains before they go in the bin.
I use a lazy Mickle method of chain cleaning where I wipe the chain through a rag to remove the worst of the muck from the outside of the side plates before applying some fresh oil sparingly. Just done it this morning actually while fixing a puncture, I probably oil the chain every 200 miles (10 commutes), possibly a bit more often in winter but I am not too precious about it.
Seems like I get a reasonable lifespan from chains/cassettes this way without spending silly time polishing links :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use those bamboo barbeque skewers to scrape the gunge out but if you 'oil and wipe' it doesn't get too bad.
I find that any lube regime causes the gunk to build up and solidify between the cassette sprockets (gave up on 'dry lube' after a couple of rides because of drivetrain noise and lack of lubrication!). The rear derailleur jockey wheels also get the same build up which is then shaped by the chain and derailleur side plates to form a big, double thickness jockey wheel. This can also be scrapped off with the screwdriver/bamboo skewer while slowly turning the pedals backwards and drops off in big, black, oily lumps. Just be careful where you do this and don't accidentally step in the mess and then tread big, black, oily patches all through the carpets in the house :blush:

I find that any lube regime causes the gunk to build up and solidify between the cassette sprockets (gave up on 'dry lube' after a couple of rides because of drivetrain noise and lack of lubrication!). The rear derailleur jockey wheels also get the same build up which is then shaped by the chain and derailleur side plates to form a big, double thickness jockey wheel. This can also be scrapped off with the screwdriver/bamboo skewer while slowly turning the pedals backwards and drops off in big, black, oily lumps. Just be careful where you do this and don't accidentally step in the mess and then tread big, black, oily patches all through the carpets in the house :blush:

Your dry lube observations are spot on - noise and build-up. Done the carpet thing as well even though I drop the blob on the lawn. The perfect instrument for scraping the jockey wheel is the end of a hacksaw blade. It's curvature exactly matches that of the jockey wheel's curvature

OP
OP
J

John342

Cheers guys, I am glad you mentioned dry lube. I am a bit of a fan of muck off range at the moment and am currently using wet lube but finding the black crap building up already. Was tempted to go for the dry lube but if it's going to cause unwanted noise etc I will give that a miss. I have got a muck off chain ring cleaning tool. It's got a brush on one end and a serrated edge on the other. That works well for the cassette. It does seem like a bit of a money making thing though when as others have said a cloth works just fine or other fine instruments.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Re dry lube that's a bit strange, I've just tried dry lube for the first time and have noticed how much quieter and smoother my mech is running. Still it's early days and I've heard it doesn't last very long so will just have to see how it goes.

Monthly, depending on how well you clean it 'normally'.

That's every 100 miles for the OP. Is that really what you mean?

(I'm in the take-it-off-when-it-needs-replacing school)

Top Bottom